Question Multiple unknown devices in Device Manager after a clean Windows 11 install ?

DarrynRogers

Commendable
Oct 2, 2020
I have just done a clean install of Windows 11 onto my machine. Everything seems to be running OK but when I open up Device Manager I have a bunch of unknown devices:

"Base System Device" x 96 entries
"Performance Counters" x 3 entries
"System Interrupt Controller" x 4 entries

I believe these are related to my CPU/Chipset.

I have tried this:
  1. Installed the latest chipset drivers for my motherboard from ASUS.
  2. Updated the Intel Management Engine to the latest version
  3. Checked "Intel Driver & Support Assistant" which says "No supported driver or software updates are available for your system"
  4. Installed and run the Intel "Chipset Software Installation Utility" according to the instructions on this page:
https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/articles/000006291/software/chipset-software.html

None of these actions has fixed the problem.

Do these entries in Device Manager matter? Will my system still run normally?

Motherboard : ASUS WS X299 Sage/10G
CPU: Intel Core i9-9920X

Do these entries in Device Manager matter? Will my system still run normally?
they don't matter in a sense that you should worry at all.
unless errors start to appear related to specific entries or you see warning flags on any of them it won't affect performance or functionality.

most are just entries created by the OS in regards to it's internal mechanisms and in anticipation of future uses.

DarrynRogers

Commendable
Oct 2, 2020
I have compared the Device Manager in my new install with the Device manager in my old install (which I still have available on another drive). The devices which are not being recognised correctly are related to the "Intel(R) Xeon(R) processor P family" entries. Please see the attached screenshot with my install on the left and my new install on the right. Still nothing to worry about?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14RFHzRJEW1oGitDz_I_qkNFsmAgpj1bz/view?usp=share_link