[SOLVED] multiple wifi networks with mesh networking?

ahostmadsen

Reputable
Mar 9, 2016
I am renting out some rooms, and I want the tenants to have a separate wifi network from our own wifi. Right now I have two wifi hubs, but would like to replace it with a single mesh networks in terms of hardware, but with two separate virtual wifi networks (ideally, more than two), i.e., so that devices from one network are not visible on the other network.

Here is the question: is that possible with any of the mesh networks out there? Eero? Google Nest? Linksys Velop?....

They usually have a guest network in addition to the main network, but I would like the secondary network to be more than a typical guest network. Or perhaps the guest network is advanced enough to use for the tenants?

Solution
I am renting out some rooms, and I want the tenants to have a separate wifi network from our own wifi. Right now I have two wifi hubs, but would like to replace it with a single mesh networks in terms of hardware, but with two separate virtual wifi networks (ideally, more than two), i.e., so that devices from one network are not visible on the other network.

Here is the question: is that possible with any of the mesh networks out there? Eero? Google Nest? Linksys Velop?....

They usually have a guest network in addition to the main network, but I would like the secondary network to be more than a typical guest network. Or perhaps the guest network is advanced enough to use for the tenants?
You can search for "VLAN" and "device...

kanewolf

Titan

You can search for "VLAN" and "device isolation". My guess is these are not features that the "home" mesh systems fully support. You are looking for business features.
I also believe that your tenants will be disappointed by mesh performance. You need to pay to get wired connectivity that you can then add access points. This would be a valid business expense.

Solution

ahostmadsen

Reputable
Mar 9, 2016
You can search for "VLAN" and "device isolation". My guess is these are not features that the "home" mesh systems fully support. You are looking for business features.
I also believe that your tenants will be disappointed by mesh performance. You need to pay to get wired connectivity that you can then add access points. This would be a valid business expense.
Thanks, yes, after searching I can see that vlan is exactly what I'm looking for, but it seems not possible with consumer level mesh networks. But wiring the rooms (I rent out three separate rooms) seems a very expensive solution. Right now I use range extenders for two of the rooms (the third is near the router), but I would need a third range extender for our bedroom to get a stable zoom connection for working at home. Three range extenders seem problematic.

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks, yes, after searching I can see that vlan is exactly what I'm looking for, but it seems not possible with consumer level mesh networks. But wiring the rooms (I rent out three separate rooms) seems a very expensive solution. Right now I use range extenders for two of the rooms (the third is near the router), but I would need a third range extender for our bedroom to get a stable zoom connection for working at home. Three range extenders seem problematic.
It may be expensive, but it is the right answer. You are making money off this. You need to spend some capital back into your property.

Have you actually gotten quotes for low voltage cable installation ?

Do you have tv coax in all the rooms. You could use Moca to get network in each room. You could also use powerline networks but the bandwidth can be somewhat limited when you are using more than a simple pair of adapters.

To provide isolation you could just use multiple routers. You put in a actual internet router but disable the wifi. You then hook up other routers either via ethernet or the moca to their wan ports. Each router will then completely isolate the equipment on the lan ports from the others. Someone could say bypass the router and hook up directly but this would only expose them to the other users not the other way around.

Doing this may cause issue for game console and other things that have issues with NAT since things like UPnP and port forwarding will not work without more effort.

ahostmadsen

Reputable
Mar 9, 2016
I just saw the Netgear Orbi Pro WiFi 6 announced. Perhaps that can handle it. At least on Amazon's page it says "easily set up WiFi network(s)," which I interpret as being multiple VLAN. Somewhat pricey, though.

TRENDING THREADS