[SOLVED] Multiple windows defender icons in notification area (systray)!

Jul 10, 2020
Hi Everyone

image.png

I'm having an issue on several clean installs of Windows 10 2004 64bit (downloaded from Microsoft servers)

Different programs' icons in the systray (such as IDM, TaskManager, Safely Eject Drive...etc) suddenly change into a windows defender icon alongside the original windows defender icon.

It stays like that until I restart Explorer.exe which temporarily fixes the problem, but after some time the issue will re-occur and then I'll have to restart the PC or Explorer.exe to fix it again.

I also tried deleting Icon Cache files, but all it does is a just temporary fix.

Hope you can help me.
and thanks in advance.

Solution
That is unusual

I don't know if this will help
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

So this is on a few PC? or same one a few times? Are you using pre existing users? have you tried making new user and seeing if it still does it?

Colif

Win 11 Master
That is unusual

right click start button
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

So this is on a few PC? or same one a few times? Are you using pre existing users? have you tried making new user and seeing if it still does it?

Solution
Jul 10, 2020
That is unusual

right click start button

I did several clean installations of the same image on diffrrent PCs and faced the same problem.

The image I used was the Arabic version of Windows 10 2004 64bit and I feel it might be the culprit behind all this. Maybe it has bugs that corrupt the icon cache files or something.

I am currently having windows defender systray icon disabled to see what happens and what other icon will take its place when the problem re-occurs.

Sometime soon I will download the English image of Windows 10 and install Arabic language package and see if the problem persists.

Note that this problem is only cosmetic and it only affects the icons, as the correct program opens normally when clicking any of the multiple windows defender icons. Even the bubble that appears when hovering the mouse pointer on any of these icons displays the correct name of the program.

TRENDING THREADS