Multiple wireless devices, 1 modem/router, extremely flaky internet. Time to attempt a VLAN setup?

liquidshrapnel

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
Hi there,

Any help here would be great as I just don't know how to fix this.

I'm running a home network on a Netgear D6200 acting as both modem and router on a standard broadband line.

My speeds are pretty basic, 5mb down / 0.25mb up.

my problem is that we run 12 wireless devices in the house and it would seem that the router can't handle it?

example:
if i'm on my laptop ftp-ing some files either up or down, then the browsers on my girlfriends mac and my laptop will simply not display a webpage, giving a "dns no internet" message.

All green lights remain on the router and the backend shows no issues at all.

Is this happening because of the large amount of wireless devices I have connected. Should I consider separate VLAN's for the main PC's and for the phones/tablets/consoles?

I've got no experience in anything other than plugging a router in and expecting it to work. Naive I know. Any advice would be great.

Cheers!

liquidshrapnel

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
Hi,

thanks for you quick response, and the advice on VLANs.

It's not just during the ftp usage, happens when uploading to dropbox from my phone also, but it did get me thinking. I've just logged onto the router and capped the max upload speed. Then put some Qos rules for the main PC's to give them higher priority.

Thanks for you help, Alabalcho. It put me on what's hopefully the right path. I'll test if for a few days, see if makes a difference.