Multiple XP / Boot errors. Very Annoyed.

jackpearce

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I recently had my computer ( AMD Athlon 3000+ ) ( Asrock K8 Combo-Z ) ( Seagate 200GB HDD ) running fine at 2.40GHz. I decided to push it to 2.50Ghz so I did. But then XP gave me an NTLDR error. "NTLDR is missing, Press Ctrl Alt Del to restart...". I read around on this forum and found out the best way to fix this is to use the Windows XP Install Disc - Recovery app. I have another problem though. When I insert the disc it says "Press any key to boot..", after that screen it says "Inspecting computer's hardware.." and then just goes to a blank screen. Nothing. I've read around and this has happend to other people on the forum aswell. When I remove the harddrive with the XP installation on the install dics loads fine.

Help :?: :?: :?: :!: :!: :!:

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Boot into your BIOS, and check that your hard drive is still being read. If it's okay, it'll show up on the POST screen as well.

This feels like a crash.

Go to another comp and download Seagate's diagnostic (if you don't have it). Run it to see what it tells you.

jackpearce

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Boot into your BIOS, and check that your hard drive is still being read. If it's okay, it'll show up on the POST screen as well.

This feels like a crash.

Go to another comp and download Seagate's diagnostic (if you don't have it). Run it to see what it tells you.
The harddrive is showing in the BIOS and POST fine. That's not my problem. My problem is trying to fix this NTLDR error. Are there any other methods apart from using the XP install disc?

Thanks, Jack.

jackpearce

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
You did clock the processor back down, correct? That could be the problem if you haven't...
Yeah it's back down to what it was..

I basically just need another method of repairing the NTLDR file apart from the XP repair console. As I can't access that for some reason.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Borrow someone elses' XP (doesn't matter what flavor) and try the boot install process. If that cd doesn't get you to the Recovery Console, I think you have hd issues.

That being said, I can turn you on to a boot floppy that will read NTFS. The three boot loading files are:

boot.ini
NTDETECT.COM
ntldr

If you didn't make a print-out copy of your own boot.ini, you will have to try someone elses'. Add those 3 files to the floppy; boot up to the "A" prompt, and copy the two nt files for now to "C". (Try it first without copying over the boot.ini)

You can get this utility at www.bootdisk.com

It'll cost you $4. Look for the boot floppy file that reads NTFS. It will have NTFS4DOS included.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
If you have a floppy connector on your mobo, I suggest you install one.

Priceless for troubleshooting.

If the mobo doesn't support floppy, go USB.

jackpearce

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Ok I bought those XP NTFS Floppy boot files. I stuck them on the floppy and put those boot files in a folder XP on the floppy. For some reason if I try and copy those files over it just says it dosn't exsist. If I go "cd xp" and then DIR it'll just not list the files.

Any ideas?

Jack.

Edit: ok if I type "dir /ah" it'll list em.... "7. attrib is also included. Remember some files on your ntfs drive may
be hidden. To see them use dir /ah "

But I still can't copy the files over. I tried "copy A:/XP/NTLDR C:/". No luck :(

Edit: I used backslash not forward.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Assuming the floppy is working correctly - you got to the section to press any key to continue; Y and (enter) for private use, and then you get the "A" prompt with the "C" drive recognized above.

You're going to get the "C" drive recognized if it's functioning okay.

Here's the syntax for the copy:

xcopy a:(back slash here)xp(back slash here)ntldr C:(back slash here)

I would copy over NTDETECT.COM as well.

jackpearce

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Assuming the floppy is working correctly - you got to the section to press any key to continue; Y and (enter) for private use, and then you get the "A" prompt with the "C" drive recognized above.

You're going to get the "C" drive recognized if it's functioning okay.

Here's the syntax for the copy:

xcopy a:(back slash here)xp(back slash here)ntldr C:(back slash here)

I would copy over NTDETECT.COM as well.
I still get "File not found - NTLDR 0 Files Copied"
:evil: :x

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Is my description of the screen sequence happening with you?

Assuming it is so, at the "A" prompt type cd xp, so that you get to the xp folder on the floppy.

Now type dir/ah.

If you don't get a list of the boot loader files, THEY ARE NOT IN THERE!
Perhaps they are on the root of "A". Check there.

If not, try the copying on to the floppy again - and before you leave, make sure they are on there.

Another reminder! Use xcopy when you are ready to go.

jackpearce

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Ok I typed dir /ah and they are definitely in the XP folder. I've checked on another computer and they're defo there.

I typed xcopy at the start instead of copy and it still just complains the file isn't there.

It's really annoying. How about I unhide the files in xp before transfering them over?

Jack.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
It's got to work! I just practiced with my machine, and I copied over 10 files.

Make sure you are very precise with the spelling and spacing.

jackpearce

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
lol I am man nothing is working. This is just weird.

I'm just gonna format the harddrive and start again. Thanks for the help.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
One last thing. You have to do the xcopy from the "A" drive - just checking.

If it winds up you start over, DO NOT FORMAT.

Take a regular 98 boot floppy and fdisk at the "A" prompt.

Say yes to enable large drive support (yes again if you're asked about the ntfs).

Enter choice: [3] (hit Enter)
Enter choice: [4] (hit enter)
Delete the [1] Partition (hit Enter)
?(if)You wish to continue [y] (hit Enter)
Esc
Pop in the XP cd, and press Ctrl-Alt-Del to start the install.

When you get to the point of formatting, I strongly urge you to opt for the long format. If it finds bad spots, it will mark them not to be used. The "Quick" does not do that.

jackpearce

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Yeah..

I think the harddrive is corrupt. I really don't know. I might have to try and install XP on another drive and see if that works.

Jack.