Multiplier setting non-existent?

Decker87

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
Hi..I just got my NF7-S2 motherboard from newegg. I was planning to overclock my AMD Mobile 2400 processor (1.8 ghz).

But...when I open up the Bios, there's no multiplier setting, and of course the FSB only goes so far. The multiplier now is set to 6. That means I'll max out at 1200 if I can't set the multiplier. I thought mobiles had their multipliers unlocked? I'm really confused. The user's manual for the mobo says that in the "SoftMenu" there is a multiplier setting, but clearly there isn't. What's going on?

Decker87

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
Wow...I hate myself so much. I just realized that this board doesn't and never will have any multiplier setting, so it shan't be used with mobile chips. Sigh. Another 40+ dollars down the fricken drain to buy a non-mobile chip.

..Anyone have a normal 2400 and want a mobile?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Decker87 on 12/07/04 08:10 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The mobile is worth a bit more. Go to the Classifieds forum and make a new post "FT Mobile XP 2400+" and you might get something even faster than the standard 2400+ (perhaps a 2500+).

In fact, I'd use at least a 2500+ just to get the lower multiplier (higher FSB).

Why'd you get the -S2 rather than the -S?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Decker87

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
I did have a regular NF7-S, but I ruined it (although it doesnt make a nice wall ornament) so I went with something cheaper, the NF7-S2, after reading reviews that it was a great overclocker. I know the mobile 2400 is worth a little more than a normal 2400, which is why I really hope to get a normal 2500 out of this. When I bought the original equipment, a mobile 2400 was about $5 more than a non-mobile 2500, although many people told me it overclocked much better. Kinda a sticky position I've put myself in.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
How'd you ruin it? Abit has a VERY lenient RMA policy.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Decker87

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=567196#567196" target="_new">Here</A>'s how I ruined it. I doubt I can RMA it.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Decker87 on 12/08/04 02:30 AM.</EM></FONT></P>