Multitasking and Gaming

Imagesinc

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
I am looking to Upgrade a Gigabyte GA-8Ihxp with a 2.2 Cpu. I currently have 512 RAm (Rambus is EXPENSIVE these days!)

here is what I do....what is a good mobo/cpu combo for me?

I encode video (TMPGEnc) and also Pinnacle to xfer my home videos.

I game (Call Of Duty 2) and F.E.A.R as well as Dungeon Siege 2 with my wife (how cool is THAT, Huh?)

I use ITunes and NERO a lot....

Here is the question.

I oftentimes use these programs (any of them) at the same time, and am wondering if there is a good mobo/CPU combo out there for Multi-Tasking.

Many of the things I have read is that gaming and multitasking are on separate ends of the CPU spectrum.

I have Windows XP now..what OS will help in the future with this (either for dual cores or 64 bit)

I have a 26" monitor, but not one with a high resolution (1024x768 tops), so the dual graphics card piece isn't for me.

Any Info is appreciated...

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Can't really say what would be a good combo cpu / mother board for you to get.

But to throw out a question that may help others to give suggestions..

Do you want to stick with your current Rdram (Rambus)?

I have a feeling most guys here would say a motherboard with an AMD setup, since your a game player. (Call Of Duty 2 and F.E.A.R)

Otherwise, if you want to stick with Rambus, may need to go with an Intel setup.

WOWchamp

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2005
Dual core AMD (I suggest opteron but you could go X2).
DFI or ASUS mobo (I prefer DFI but to each his own)
2GB DDR RAM (I would go with DDR500 if you plan to OC at all)

Other then that just make sure you use atleast 7200 RPM drive and it might not hurt to use a 74GB raptor drive for your OS and games and a normal 7200RPM drive for storage.

For mutli tasking a dual core CPU with 2MB L2 cache would be your sweet spot, that and the 2 GB of ram.

Imagesinc

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
I will not be using the Rambus anymore...I will give that mobo and cpu/ram to my wife...

I will be getting a new mobo/CPU/Ram, using my exisiting HDD (can I use the WD 120 ATA ( it's 7200 ) drive I just bought?!)

I am looking at X2's:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toledo 1GHz HT Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA4400CDBOX - Retail
and
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Toledo 1GHz HT 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Dual Core Processor - Retail

I'll look into the Opteron processors...can you give me an idea of why I would want the Opteron?

Also...Can anyone suggest a board to go with either of the above listed cpu's?

I have an AGP ATI card, but will upgrade.....

SOOOO

Any suggestions on a board to go with the above processors....(I'll get a minimum of 2GB of Ram...maybe 4)

Why Opteron (I'll go research it a little too)..

Imagesinc

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
Like maybe this CPU?

AMD Opteron 180 Denmark 1GHz HT Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model OSA180CDBOX - Retail

$795 for the CPU alone....

What RAM to use?

WOWchamp

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2005
No no no...

If you go with an opteron go with the 165... it overclocks much nicer then its X2 near cousin ( the X2 3800+ ).

If you cannot overclock at all, then you can go for something a bit faster such as the 170 opteron. But spending that much money for the couple hundred extra mhz is really really a rip off.

I highly suggest you go 165 and overclock.

Any decent timing ram is good, go with 2 x 1 GB sticks

TRENDING THREADS