Question multitasking integration desktop recommendation

Aug 19, 2020
I want to hopefully have a true multitasking desktop PC setup that can juggle audio settings and connections with other devices utilizing only 1 control. I currently often find myself bouncing back and forth between ventrilo and discord simultaneously using separate PTT binds, while playing games or doing video editing work with premier/OBS. When I have to step away from my desk, I can't quickly or easily swap off PTT audio input and have to remain mute.

I also have a Yahama keyboard that I want to start recording with instead of just hobby playing, so I was considering picking up a mixer with bluetooth support for multiple bluetooth connections. So if I want to use my XM3 with Zoom to tutor EFL & linguistic students, I can't also have it paired with my cell phone or laptop. I want a setup that can manage multiple audio inputs and outputs simultaneously.

My Canon DSLR camera broke, so I was also thinking of getting a replacement that could double as webcam with my new build. I currently have a generic component/HDMI switch for console capture. The audio seems to be my hard point, and I do not currently use a stream deck, mixer, dac or any other audio devices (except a cruddy old amp). I don't plan for any of my equipment to leave my office other than my laptop and cellphone.

I'm not worried about cost per se, but I don't want to go super crazy (several grand). I'm using an MSI X570, Ryzen 5 3600, and Radeon 5700XT currently and the rest of my desktop is similarly up to date, so I don't think much overhaul is necessary there. My current Elgato is several years old and I was going to replace it anyways so the following items are the only hardware I'd like to keep in the setup:

Sony wh-1000xm3 (primary audio output, that I want to double as input on the fly when leaving office)
Rode NT-USB (primary audion input)

I recognize that this is a convoluted ask due to trying to integrate some drastically different hobbies together, but any recommendations or even just suggestions on hardware/software routes to explore would be highly appreciated.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2020
Well then we need to know your budget..

A few thousand dollars I suppose. I'm less worried about a budget than frivolously buying equipment that go beyond what is necessary. For example, I was considering picking up a mixer anyways for my keyboard, but I have no expectation of utilizing 8 channels. I could potentially see using up to 3 at once, so if for example, I buy a Pyle 8-channel PMXU83BT mixer over a Pyle 4-channel PMXU43BT mixer it would be for extra functionality I need rather than scalability. I would not be put off by the price if it is necessary though.

To get specific, I've thought of a few different ways to go about narrowing down what I want but I haven't settled on anything overall because I seem to bump up against various concerns. The most prominent always seems to be fluid audio device integration. I haven't had my WH-1000 XM3s for too long, but I rather like them. If I could implement them into a setup with my desktop in a way that I could have my devices funneled into a bluetooth connection to it (not just paired) that would be grand.

It technically supports 2 multipoint bluetooth connections but in a moving from device to device scenario, where I am intermittently using my laptop, desktop, and phone without wanting to stop and reconnect in a single sitting, it does not suffice. I have not found a way to channel multiple bluetooth audio connections into a single device in any way even without the other complicating factors I described.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS