[SOLVED] musetex argb 5v fan controller compatibility

Sep 1, 2021
I'm working on my first build (major upgrade of first entry level desktop from 2014, basically a complete rebuild) and I've come across a problem with the case that I want (MUSTEX MK7-GM5).

It comes with five fans and a fan controller but all the info I can find on that is this: "Equipped with Musetex fan control board, please connect 5V 3PIN motherboard interface to control ARGB fan. ( Forbidden connect with 12V 4PIN header)."

The motherboard I'm looking at is the ASRock B450M PRO4 which says: "CPU_FAN2/WP, CHA_FAN1/WP, CHA_FAN2/WP and CHA_FAN3/WP can auto detect if 3-pin or 4-pin fan is in use" and "Supports in total up to 5V/3A, 15W LED Strip" (IDK if the 5V for LED is helpful at all?).

Needless to say, I am very confused by all this. Can this fan controller work with this mobo? Will I need an adapter (is there an adapter)? Will I have to get a new fan controller or will I have to replace all the fans AND get a new fan controller? Alternatively, I could go with the ASRock B450M/AC R2.0 which has a 3pin connector but it doesn't say if it's 5V or 12V (I'm assuming 5V?).

HELP, I'm new to computer building stuff and I haven't been able to find much info on this!

Solution
Mobos can come with either of two very different types of lighting headers. Yours has one of EACH type. You need to use ONLY the one with THREE pins (looks like it had 4, but one missing). See mobo manual p. 31, the Addressable LE Header.

The board in your case is designed to handle fans with non-standard connectors with 6 pins. It certainly controls the LIGHTS in the fan frames. It has two options there. The easy one is to use a button on the case top to make changes manually. (For this, there's a cable from the case top that plugs into that board.) Alternatively, by holding down that button for several seconds, you can tell it to let the signal from the mobo header do the control work. For that you must ALSO connect the supplied...
I'm working on my first build (major upgrade of first entry level desktop from 2014, basically a complete rebuild) and I've come across a problem with the case that I want (MUSTEX MK7-GM5).

It comes with five fans and a fan controller but all the info I can find on that is this: "Equipped with Musetex fan control board, please connect 5V 3PIN motherboard interface to control ARGB fan. ( Forbidden connect with 12V 4PIN header)."

The motherboard I'm looking at is the ASRock B450M PRO4 which says: "CPU_FAN2/WP, CHA_FAN1/WP, CHA_FAN2/WP and CHA_FAN3/WP can auto detect if 3-pin or 4-pin fan is in use" and "Supports in total up to 5V/3A, 15W LED Strip" (IDK if the 5V for LED is helpful at all?).

Needless to say, I am very confused by all this. Can this fan controller work with this mobo? Will I need an adapter (is there an adapter)? Will I have to get a new fan controller or will I have to replace all the fans AND get a new fan controller? Alternatively, I could go with the ASRock B450M/AC R2.0 which has a 3pin connector but it doesn't say if it's 5V or 12V (I'm assuming 5V?).

HELP, I'm new to computer building stuff and I haven't been able to find much info on this!
ARGB is digital and works at 5vDC,
B450M/AC R2.0 has 1x Addressable LED Header also 1 x RGB LED Header* which is not addressable and is only analog working at 12vDC.
"CPU_FAN2/WP, CHA_FAN1/WP, CHA_FAN2/WP and CHA_FAN3/WP can auto detect if 3-pin or 4-pin fan is in use" Is for fan's motor power, separate from (A)RGB.

Reactions: Beanbuilder
Sep 1, 2021
ARGB is digital and works at 5vDC,
B450M/AC R2.0 has 1x Addressable LED Header also 1 x RGB LED Header* which is not addressable and is only analog working at 12vDC.
"CPU_FAN2/WP, CHA_FAN1/WP, CHA_FAN2/WP and CHA_FAN3/WP can auto detect if 3-pin or 4-pin fan is in use" Is for fan's motor power, separate from (A)RGB.

Ok, so it won't work with this motherboard (well, the fans should still work, I just won't be able to control them). I was afraid of that.
From what I can tell, there doesn't seem to be an adapter, but I may be wrong (I hope I am anyway).
Would a new fan controller work? I haven't been able to find much information on the fans used in that case so I'm having trouble determining compatibility for them and don't know where to start looking as far as a new controller goes.

Since the difference in price of this case with fans VS without is only $10, I would prefer to be able to use these fans rather than having to buy a new set (my old pc has two that work, but 5 is better than two lol).

As for using the ASRock B450M/AC R2.0, you're saying that it will control the LED's on the fan, but not the fan itself? I'm still a little confused on that I guess, but if that's the case, the computer case itself has a button to change the LED's without having to be plugged into the mobo anyway, so I'd still be better off with the PRO4.

To clarify, I'm not overly concerned about controlling the LED's (although it is a plus), I want to be able to control the fan speed to adjust for temperature.

Last edited:

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Mobos can come with either of two very different types of lighting headers. Yours has one of EACH type. You need to use ONLY the one with THREE pins (looks like it had 4, but one missing). See mobo manual p. 31, the Addressable LE Header.

The board in your case is designed to handle fans with non-standard connectors with 6 pins. It certainly controls the LIGHTS in the fan frames. It has two options there. The easy one is to use a button on the case top to make changes manually. (For this, there's a cable from the case top that plugs into that board.) Alternatively, by holding down that button for several seconds, you can tell it to let the signal from the mobo header do the control work. For that you must ALSO connect the supplied cable from the board to that mobo 3-pin ARGB header, then run the mobo's software tool for lighting control.

With six contacts to each fan and NO connections from the individual fans to mobo fan headers like Chassis/WaterPump etc, it is not clear how the fan MOTOR speeds are controlled. Maybe there is another cable to connect from the board to a mobo fan header to get a control signal. Or MAYBE the board does that work by itself using a manual fan speed button. It's not clear. But this is SEPARATE from the lights.

The real root of this is that the terms "3-pin" and "4-pin" are used to label BOTH fan MOTORS and fan LIGHTS, even though there is NO connection between those two types of devices!

Reactions: Beanbuilder
Solution
Sep 1, 2021
The real root of this is that the terms "3-pin" and "4-pin" are used to label BOTH fan MOTORS and fan LIGHTS, even though there is NO connection between those two types of devices!

I think this is exactly why I was so confused, thank you for clearing that up! I did not realize that the LED's and fan motors are controlled separately and wrongly assumed that the "fan controller" would do both.

Now that I know what I'm looking at, you're right, both mobo's I was referring to have one of each so the real question IS how the fan motors are controlled and if they even can be.
Knowing this, I think I'll just go with the Pro4 mobo and the case as is for now and maybe eventually upgrade the fans as needed.

THANK YOU BOTH FOR HELPING ME FIGURE THIS OUT!

Last edited: