Mushkin Announces SandForce Callisto Deluxe SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

meat81

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
Glad these are getting faster but they keep re-introducing new tech in these SSD's that keeps the pricing from dropping!!

quantum mask

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
[citation][nom]meat81[/nom]Glad these are getting faster but they keep re-introducing new tech in these SSD's that keeps the pricing from dropping, Dammit!![/citation]
I'm sure that's on purpose.

vir_cotto

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
[citation][nom]Moshiko[/nom]They're making a nice profit as the new techs they're introducing don't cost them shit, if anything it makes manufacturing cheaper, and yet the prices don't drop, meaning the more advanced SSDs get the more the companies that make them profit, which is how it should be when you think about it.[/citation]

I'm sure they spend a lot of money on R&D department to develop new tech, like die shrinks costs money to develop.

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
Should be SATA III and not SATA II. SSDs are at the boundry for saturation of SATA II now and so far, only Crucial has put out a SATA III SSD.

Yes but there always should be a medium, just cause they spent some $$ on R&D does not mean they can screw over the customer. Another example are thumb drives, when the first 16Gb came out it was priced @ 189.99$ now you can get one for as low as 14.99$ on ebay so this tells you that they are VERY cheap to make. Same goes for SSD's, trust me you do not want to know how much it costs to produce one of those chips ;)

Regardless of how much the R&D costs, when you sell by the millions those cost are covered in the first quarter so there is no excuse to sell them at ridiculous prices. Why do they do this? Because they can ;) . As long as it's fast and it's new tech there will always be a group of people that can care less..

junkisd

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
it's been dry in the SATA III arena. crucial is the only player right now.. i've been waiting patiently for the new wave of drives.. but everyone keeps coming out with SATA II..

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
actually, only a few companies do the R&D, all the rest are rebranders or do minor physical layout changes to make their products appear different from the rest when they're exactly alike. you see this in the video card sector. incremental upgrades is the name of the game, folks...

michaelssw

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]Moshiko[/nom]They're making a nice profit as the new techs they're introducing don't cost them shit, if anything it makes manufacturing cheaper, and yet the prices don't drop, meaning the more advanced SSDs get the more the companies that make them profit, which is how it should be when you think about it.[/citation]

You should write that as your graduate thesis, with all the research you did to make that satement

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
wait for Intel's 25nm process, will lower competition's prices and Intel's old stock of SSDs while selling the newer ones with greater capacity and better speeds.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
Sata III isn't quite mainstream yet, so that's most likely why they're not utilizing it. However, it's backwards compatible, so I don't see why they wouldn't future-proof these drives for practically no additional cost.

cobra5000

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
I'm happy with my 500GB HD for $60.00. Only when SSD's get comparable size and price will i even think about buying one! And whats up w/the 3 yr warranty? For these prices!? No way!

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]cobra5000[/nom]I'm happy with my 500GB HD for $60.00. Only when SSD's get comparable size and price will i even think about buying one! And whats up w/the 3 yr warranty? For these prices!? No way![/citation]

I hope you understand that your 500GB HDD doesn't even come in at 1/3 the speed of a SSD.

SSD's will not likely get "as cheap" as hard drives until they become mainstream, at the moment they're for the performance market, not for those who whine about the price and comparing it to a spinning drive.

blackjellognomes

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Hanin33[/nom]actually, only a few companies do the R&D, all the rest are rebranders or do minor physical layout changes to make their products appear different from the rest when they're exactly alike. you see this in the video card sector. incremental upgrades is the name of the game, folks...[/citation]
Mm, well, all the rebranders don't get the product design for free. I think the point is just that these companies are constantly spending, hence the need for profit from sales.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I want a 8TB SDD.
If my finances keep going the same direction and development in SSD's stays in the same course, I'll be able to afford one by the time they become mainstream!

ares1214

Splendid
considering if ssds get much faster, sata 2 will hold them back, while are we still releasing them on sata 2??? they need to focus on getting them at small manufacturing process, bigger capacity, and lower prices, not continually uping the speeds. until you can atleast 120 for 200 bucks, ssd isnt realistic.

energun_22

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
why do whiners whine so damn much.. Buy it or don't. Sitting on the side line whining is why we're losing jobs to 3rd world babus. American Capitalism @ it's here people....nothing new. I don't know what rock you all crawled out from, but it's for you all to go back.

Oh yeah btw, this drive...I saved up and budgeted to get me the 120GB....(yeah budgeting: try it some time when you all grow up). It is just as good as the specs say & even better because it's Mushkin. If you don't suckle on your parent's "censored" anymore, then I suggest possibly getting a job; known to alleviate money shortage issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.