Mushkin chronos or another SSD?

Pat22

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
i will be building a new PC and i want to include an SSD. was looking at the chronos mushkin and found two of them

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006551%2050001504%2040000636%20600038484&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&CompareItemList=636%7C20-226-225%5E20-226-225-TS%2C20-226-236%5E20-226-236-TS

is the more expensive one worth it or not? or is there another good SSD that i coud get?

PS. my PC will NOT HAVE an HDD, only an SSD, so a smaller sized SSD is not an option. ( i dont rly use a lot of space anyways)

Intel 520 Series Cherryville SSDSC2CW240A310 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - OEM
$339.99
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167088

If the SSD is going to be the only drive in the computer then I would suggest a 240gb , it gives you enough room for the OS a couple of games and some apps. I would not go with a 120gb as it will tend to get full even though you don't have a lot of files or use it much and trhe Intel drive is very reliable.

Pat22

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009

would u reccomend the deluxe version over the "regular" version despite the huge (like $50) price Difference. And if so, why ?

Isaiah4110

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012

I'm not sure how many of the SSD articles and reviews you have read here on Tom's Hardware, but there are three distinct performance levels that you can get out of SandForce 2281 firmware drives.

The fastest and best performance in a drive with the SandForce 2281 controller comes from Toggle NAND SSDs. Second in line are drives that utilize Synchronous ONFI NAND, and bringing up the rear are drives with Asynchronous ONFI NAND. The best 120 GB SSDs, on a performance level, from the reviews and benchmarks I have found, are the Patriot Wildfire, and the Mushkin Chronos Deluxe. Both use Toggle NAND flash memory.

I was considering purchasing the Mushkin Chronos (MKNSSDCR120GB) myself until I found out that it uses Asynchronous ONFI NAND flash memory. I'm not in too big of a hurry to build a new rig (sometime in the next 12 months), so I plan on waiting for a killer deal on the Patriot WF or Mushkin Chronos Deluxe (MKNSSDCR120GB-DX).

Check out the Tom's Hardware Articles here and charts here, and the the HardwareCanucks review of the Chronos Deluxe here.

In the end they should all give a solid boost over standard HDD performance, and it will largely depend on how much you want to spend or how long you want to wait on a sale.

Deluxe one hands down. As Isaiah4110 said above, an SSD's performance depends on two main factors: the controller and the type of flash. Toggle flash has a much longer life span than any other type of flash and lower power consumption. Oddly enough Toggle-mode flash is actually a type of asynchronous flash but performs better than synchronous flash for reasons that I won't get into. The downside is that it's pricier but the principle upside is that it will not only perform better, but it will last a lot longer too

richard_35

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
I also saw the normal mushkin, but for that price.......
But the populair m4, ain't a very fast one neither, as de samsung 840.
The 840pro is on the other hand pretty fast, only drops when 3/4 or more of the sd gets full.
Too bad the 830 is out of production.... Nice card, good price.(in the netherlands anyway).
But there'll made tice as many ssd's in 2013, so a little drop won't hurt.
A nice 256 still is about 200euro's and the perfomances don't grrow anymore and the time that they live, i don't care a lot for, as i usually give them awat to friend/family after 1.5 year, cause a lot of them still use hhd's, so for them it's a huge step forward.
Ain't the real problem the limitation oof sata 600......
Adata was half a year ago the perfect newcomer, so i bought one, but they also ain't in the picture anymoren. And i only need a ssd to put music-files and samples on, for i do a lot of audio and and 840 ain't a fast writer, but reading it perfoms well, and that's the main isue.... and an m4 is the same story...... so i think i'll go for an mthe samsung 840... Nice case.....and why spend a lot on a pro....
Booting goes fast enough with the adata and loading the programs also..... And the main audio processing is done by external units with their own processor. But is time for new inventions instead of using sync. asynch. mlc tlc. it's a bit of the same with all brands.....
Mainly cause most of them use the same controller and technique...depending on the price.
gr.richard.....