Review Mushkin Helix-L M.2 NVMe SSD Review: NVMe on a Budget

Nitromon

Honorable
Feb 14, 2015
I think most people focus too much on the performance comparison, which in my opinion if they're within range should all be the same, especially if you're upgrading from a 5400 rpm HDD. What I found most impressive about this NVMe is the power consumption and efficiency. I like to know if anyone can add, this also factors into the heating?

One of the drawbacks of NVMe when I was considering between that and a SATA was the power consumption and heating since I was getting it for a laptop. Most out there, such as Samsung, runs at 2.7-2.8A, or max at 9-10W!!! They can run up to 85-90*C.

The specs for this Mushkin Helix L is max active at 4.5W, or 1.36A. That is 1/2 the power usage of most other NVMe. But if this review is accurate, at least in the test of the 50GB transfer, it was only 3.72W or 1.127A!! That's amazing! And at a average consumption of 2.15W, that's 0.65A. I have a mSATA right now rated at 0.65A and it doesn't even heat up.

wpcp

Prominent
Jan 4, 2021
I litterally registered so I can say this review is BS. it says Pro "Large Write Cache" but this is HMB (Host Memory Bus) so it has ZERO cache and no DRAM. It just uses your system RAM as DRAM.

seanwebster

Contributing Writer
Editor
Aug 30, 2018
I litterally registered so I can say this review is BS. it says Pro "Large Write Cache" but this is HMB (Host Memory Bus) so it has ZERO cache and no DRAM. It just uses your system RAM as DRAM.
The SLC write cache (the NAND flash) is not the same thing as a DRAM cache.

Jun 16, 2021
How is it BS when the conclusion, at length, describes the distinction between DRAM cache and HMB? What did you have trouble with?

TRENDING THREADS