Mushkin Launches Stealth & Redline 2800 MHz DDR3 Kits

Status
Not open for further replies.

nord_musician

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
Hey guys I have a question. If my CPU says it supports up to 1333Mhz DDR3. Why the motherboard supports even more Mhz if the supported CPUs won't? I have an AMD Phenom II X6 which supports up to 1333Mhz within the controller. The motherboard goes up to 2000Mhz.

Thanks in advance!

Tight memory timings vs. brute force frequency.....

Is anyone else interested in seeing at what point memory timing configs get tossed out the door in favor of clock speed? At first glance, I think I would want the extra 1200MHz over my 1600Mhz 8-8-8-24 setup but would prefer actual performance data to see where this happens.

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Actually if you have an amd apu it does bottleneck graphics performance.

acktionhank

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013

I don't understand your question of Timing vs Brute Force.

This kit is 2800Mhz with 12-14-14-35 timings... That is lower latency than your 1600Mhz 8-8-8-24 set up. So that 2800Mhz kit has betting memory timings and clock speed. If the 2800Mhz kit was lowered to 1600Mhz it would have 7-8-8-20 as it latencies.

Or are you just talking about memory in general? As i think there is no clear answer. In some applications raw clock speed is more important and in other lower latency seems to be the determining factor in performance.

Kits like this would be interesting downclocked to 2400, and with their timings tightened a bit. i bet it would almost be as fast as ddr4 at that point. interesting stuff really.

the phii will work with faster ram. Its most stable when overclocked with 1333 ram, however the Thuban cored phII like yours generally work fine with 1600 speed ram. My Deneb on the other hand... it will overclock to 3.8 with my ram clocked at 1600, but it won't stabilize over that unless i downclock my ram to 1333.

halcyon

Splendid

Sounds like one may wanna avoid AMD's APUs then, or I am misunderstanding.

the apu draws its graphics ram from system ram. So faster system ram ALWAYS helps an apu, as it will boost the igpu performance significantly. You can see as much as 20%-30% gpu improvement with faster ram on those. Throw in the lack of L3 cache on the chip, and you can see a pretty significant improvement with the cpu as well (intel's high quality L3 cache is why their chips are basically immune to ram speed changes. when you take away L3 cache, your cpu becomes very sensitive to ram speed as well)

Status
Not open for further replies.