Question Music not playing

Metalrocks

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2014
Hi,

Over a month ago, for some reason all my music was completely gone from my second hard drive (SSD). No idea why this happened.
Thankfully, I backed them up on a portable drive for such cases, transferred them all over and most of the music play just fine. Others I needed to re download from itunes. Now I have no idea if this actually matters, but more than half of my music are from original CD's. For over 20 years now, I transferred the same music several times whenever I upgraded my computer. All from win 98 to now (win 10). No issues playing them.
But now, for some reason most of these tracks don't play anymore. Instead I get a message stating this:
Window Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file.

That's it. Nothing else. No additional buttons to click on, nothing.
The funny thing is, other tracks which are also from original CD's, play just fine. I've tried other player such as Groove music, VLC, all coming up with similar messages.

Since computers these days have no longer CD drives, it makes it hard for me to copy them on my rig. Also, i sadly don't have some of the CD's anymore. What is going on that just like that, some files no longer can be played?
How can I fix it?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
some files no longer can be played?

File corruption.

As of why, it depends on the storage media where the files are stored + storage conditions.
Further reading: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/hard-drives-ssds-flash-drives-how-long-will-your-storage-media-last/

Since computers these days have no longer CD drives

That isn't true.

What is true, is: "people no longer buy CD/DVD drives for their PCs". But that doesn't mean there aren't PCs with CD/DVD drives. E.g my and my missus'es PCs, both, have CD/DVD reader/writer.
Left: Skylake, my build.
Middle: Haswell, missus'es build.
Right: AMD, my old build.
Full specs with more pics in my sig.

fiEKMVV.jpg
Also, nowadays, you can buy external CD/DVD drive, if your PC doesn't have external 5.25" bay, where to house the drive, and/or are using a laptop.

Metalrocks

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2014
File corruption.

As of why, it depends on the storage media where the files are stored + storage conditions.
Further reading: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/hard-drives-ssds-flash-drives-how-long-will-your-storage-media-last/

That isn't true.

What is true, is: "people no longer buy CD/DVD drives for their PCs". But that doesn't mean there aren't PCs with CD/DVD drives. E.g my and my missus'es PCs, both, have CD/DVD reader/writer.
Left: Skylake, my build.
Middle: Haswell, missus'es build.
Right: AMD, my old build.
Full specs with more pics in my sig.

fiEKMVV.jpg
Also, nowadays, you can buy external CD/DVD drive, if your PC doesn't have external 5.25" bay, where to house the drive, and/or are using a laptop.
Looks like it. Still odd as others are just fine. The drives are all working fine.

I completely forgot to mention that my DVD drive for some reason doesn't work at all. But yes, I didn't think of a portable drive. Thankfully they aren't that expensive.
Still aggravating that I can't play my music anymore. Good thing I will have some time off soon, so I can try to copy my CD's over and hopefully fix this issue.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I completely forgot to mention that my DVD drive for some reason doesn't work at all.

CD/DVD players are one of the least lasting hardware within the PC. In my years, i've replaced easy 10+ drives out, since after some time, they stop reading my discs. Since drive itself isn't that expensive, it's easy to buy a new one.

Still aggravating that I can't play my music anymore.

Why not listen your music directly from internet? E.g Youtube playlists (which i've done for myself), or internet radio (e.g www.di.fm which i also listen often).

Last edited: