music production laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
The more powerful i7-7700HQ CPU would naturally be better because of higher base CPU speed. It also has Hyper Thread (HT) which allows the CPU to process 8 threads of instructions instead of only 4... but the software must be designed to take advantage of HT. However, I do not know how CPU intensive music / sound production software are. I am sure they are less CPU intensive compared to video editing / encoding software though.

The more powerful i7-7700HQ CPU would naturally be better because of higher base CPU speed. It also has Hyper Thread (HT) which allows the CPU to process 8 threads of instructions instead of only 4... but the software must be designed to take advantage of HT. However, I do not know how CPU intensive music / sound production software are. I am sure they are less CPU intensive compared to video editing / encoding software though.

Solution
Apr 1, 2018
The i7-7700HQ has a base CPU speed of 2.8 GHz (3.8 turbo)
The i7-8550U has a base CPU speed of 1.8 GHz (4.0 turbo)
Under heavy workload, the i7-8550U could use a (turbo-) speed similar to the i7-7700HQ base speed or higher, but for how long? Could it run at near 4.0 GHz for a prolonged time?
Would the change in speed up and down affect audio-recording (glitches and clicks in the recording)?
Any comments or experience with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.