Question Music quality from on-board sound cards

Feb 14, 2019
So I have a desktop and a laptop. But this one song has different effects on my Dell latitude 3490 and sounds pretty <<Edited for content by moderator>> cool. But on my desktop with my b450 Mobo and ryzen 5 2600, the sound doesn't even sound near as good as the latitude's. Does this have to do with the sound cards, drivers, or just Intel is better than amd?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Watch the implied "f bombs", please. Thank you.

The Dell's mixer settings could just be better configured for the music you are playing. The Realtek audio device on the Dell is average.

Have you adjusted your sound settings on the desktop at all?

Feb 14, 2019
Watch the implied "f bombs", please. Thank you.

The Dell's mixer settings could just be better configured for the music you are playing. The Realtek audio device on the Dell is average.

Have you adjusted your sound settings on the desktop at all?
Sorry about the f bomb but it just sounded really good. I have slightly but I don't know how to make it identical to the Dell's sound mixer settings

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
So I have a desktop and a laptop. But this one song has different effects on my Dell latitude 3490 and sounds pretty <<Edited for content by moderator>> cool. But on my desktop with my b450 Mobo and ryzen 5 2600, the sound doesn't even sound near as good as the latitude's. Does this have to do with the sound cards, drivers, or just Intel is better than amd?

Probably because you're trying to compare Realtek ALC3271"2016" to Realtek ALC887 "2008", the supporting software is much better for the ALC3271 and that is what your hearing. You can however make a ALC887 sound better by changing the APO driver and unlocking Dolby Digital and DTS Interactive.

Probably because you're trying to compare Realtek ALC3271"2016" to Realtek ALC887 "2008", the supporting software is much better for the ALC3271 and that is what your hearing. You can however make a ALC887 sound better by changing the APO driver and unlocking Dolby Digital and DTS Interactive.

Dolby and DTS are horrible audio containers; they both lose audio data due to how heavily compressed they are. The only justification for those formats is that they are compressed enough to handle 5.1 over an optical connection.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Dolby and DTS are horrible audio containers; they both lose audio data due to how heavily compressed they are. The only justification for those formats is that they are compressed enough to handle 5.1 over an optical connection.

Your right if your listening to Flac's on a $1000 pair of speakers with some absurd amp then yes they probably do sound like crap. If your playing a movie or game designed around those using onboard audio, 2.1 speakers, Soundbars or a pair of $100 headphones they actually sound pretty good and improve what your playing. It's all about the usage sir and the money invested in the hardware.