News Musk says he'll ban all Apple devices if OpenAI is integrated at the OS level — claims it would represent a massive security risk

"The new cluster will be used to accelerate the company’s training efforts as Tesla’s AI supercomputer project, Dojo, slowly comes online. "
I understand, however, you originally said:
How much "AI" will he infuse in his cars?
After AI is trained it's just a program with a specific purpose like any other. The purpose of the AI for his cars is to navigate the road and better itself at doing so by sending data about its experience back for iterative improvement. Your pointing out of Elon using AI to power his car's self driving capabilities would be ironic if the comparison in how they were using AI were similar, but they are not. There is also the differentiation I was trying to make above. When we are talking about 'how much AI' a product has, are we talking about how the AI software is implemented and its encroachment on the useability of the product, or are we talking about how much physical AI driving hardware it has to run said AI?

Reactions: jp7189 and artk2219

USAFRet

Titan
I understand, however, you originally said:

After AI is trained it's just a program with a specific purpose like any other. The purpose of the AI for his cars is to navigate the road and better itself at doing so by sending data about its experience back for iterative improvement. Your pointing out of Elon using AI to power his car's self driving capabilities would be ironic if the comparison in how they were using AI were similar, but they are not. There is also the differentiation I was trying to make above. When we are talking about 'how much AI' a product has, are we talking about how the AI software is implemented and its encroachment on the useability of the product, or are we talking about how much physical AI driving hardware it has to run said AI?
I was just making an observation about him bitching about everyone else's AI and procedures.

"Waaa....Windows 11 makes you create a MS account"
(need a Tesla account to drive your car)

"Waaa...Apples AI will suck up too much user data"
(Tesla AI will be different?)

ThomasKinsley

Prominent
Oct 4, 2023
I'm admittedly not up to speed on this subject. I know Musk has various issues with OpenAI already; however, I'm confused at how Apple's arrangement with OpenAI differs from Microsoft's. Isn't Microsoft integrating OpenAI's ChatGPT at the OS level as well?

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
I'm admittedly not up to speed on this subject. I know Musk has various issues with OpenAI already; however, I'm confused at how Apple's arrangement with OpenAI differs from Microsoft's. Isn't Microsoft integrating OpenAI's ChatGPT at the OS level as well?
Because Musk is selectively outraged on the same issue.

The previously smart guy has become a sleepy carnival barker at best.

Reactions: jlake3 and artk2219

Notton

Commendable
Dec 29, 2023
hahaha, dis gon b gud

200.webp

Reactions: artk2219

abufrejoval

Reputable
Jun 19, 2020
Well if he bans Xitter on the fruity cult, that would actually be an extra fruit fly on that apple tart.

He sure likes it much less losing control at the hands of others than losing it himself.

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
Musk, Musk, Musk.

1.) To use ChatGPT on Apple's OS's you must first opt-in
2.) Apple already said businesses can block usage of it via MDM.

So... What are you complaining about? Angry that Apple didn't use Grok I guess?

Reactions: purposelycryptic

DS426

Upstanding
May 15, 2024
"Elon Musk’s concerns are technically moot, especially as Apple and OpenAI are, at least on paper, putting user privacy in the forefront."

What!?!? His concerns aren't moot based on executive principles. Many have good points on this article, but OpenAI is not putting user privacy first in practice. Apple, kinda-mostly yes. Sorry folks but these individuals and companies aren't getting rich off of consumers shelling over their families' food money -- it's big data ~ big business as usual, just on an amplified scale.

purposelycryptic

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
Because Musk is selectively outraged on the same issue.

The previously smart guy has become a sleepy carnival barker at best.
He's never really been all that smart, just very good at using actual smart people for his personal benefit.

I'll admit, I initially bought the whole boy-genius schtick too, but once he became rich enough to stop pretending, it became clear that he's just your classic highly manipulative narcissistic sociopath.

That's why it seemed like he suddenly lost about 50 IQ points over the course of a few months - he started buying into his own con, and overriding the actual smart people working for him on favor of his own much less smart ideas. We've all seen just how well that has worked out.

jp7189

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012
I was just making an observation about him bitching about everyone else's AI and procedures.

"Waaa....Windows 11 makes you create a MS account"
(need a Tesla account to drive your car)

"Waaa...Apples AI will suck up too much user data"
(Tesla AI will be different?)
The types of data a car has access to is in a different league than a personal cell phone - passwords, sensitive photos, your deepest thoughts. When integrated at the OS level it could potentially have access to data being sent to encrypted apps before the encryption kicks in. E.g. if it's integrated in to the keyboard.

Some people don't use a phone this way, but I'd guess most do and don't know/care.

Reactions: helper800

USAFRet

Titan
The types of data a car has access to is in a different league than a personal cell phone - passwords, sensitive photos, your deepest thoughts. When integrated at the OS level it could potentially have access to data being sent to encrypted apps before the encryption kicks in. E.g. if it's integrated in to the keyboard.

Some people don't use a phone this way, but I'd guess most do and don't know/care.
I'll bet the data collected by Tesla is pretty comprehensive.

But that s neither here nor there.

My comment was just about the irony of Musk complaining about other companies, when his does exactly the same thing.

jp7189

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012
I'll bet the data collected by Tesla is pretty comprehensive.

But that s neither here nor there.

My comment was just about the irony of Musk complaining about other companies, when his does exactly the same thing.
I understood your argument and am saying this is nothing like the same thing. Vehicle telemetry and personal data collection aren't in the same realm.

Tesla can't know my wife's name, place of work, favorite flower type and shoe size. ChatGPT with unfettered acces to a cell phone will know those, their context, and how that data relates to other data.

I'm further saying that Tesla doesn't use an attention based transformer model, so even if they somehow scraped that data, they won't make the context and relation connections that ChatGPT will make.

USAFRet

Titan
I understood your argument and am saying this is nothing like the same thing. Vehicle telemetry and personal data collection aren't in the same realm.

Tesla can't know my wife's name, place of work, favorite flower type and shoe size. ChatGPT with unfettered acces to a cell phone will know those, their context, and how that data relates to other data.

I'm further saying that Tesla doesn't use an attention based transformer model, so even if they somehow scraped that data, they won't make the context and relation connections that ChatGPT will make.
And I mostly agree with you.

But, I'll just leave this here:
https://hardware.slashdot.org/story/24/06/12/132225/will-tesla-do-a-phone-yes-says-morgan-stanley

From our continuing discussions with automotive management teams and industry experts, the car is an extension of the phone. The phone is an extension of the car. The lines between car and phone are truly blurring.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

Teslas have in-cabin microphones and camera. So in theory they could know everything you do or say in your car. That's before you consider those who connect their phone to the car with android auto/apple carplay. Tesla could also know everywhere you drive the car. Between all that, they very likely can know your place of work, your wife's name, and plenty of other personal details.

Imagine if they were to start doing the sort of sophisticated fingerprinting that websites do. Maybe height (which they can estimate based on seat/steering wheel positioning) and driver acceleration habits correlate to foot size. Maybe they could estimate your shoe size after all :p

Edit: I have no idea if Tesla is actually collecting all the info above, just thinking about what they all could collect in theory based on the systems currently in place in their cars.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Even in the car I bought a year ago...2017 something, delivered from Carvana.

I know where the original owner lives, where his friends live, etc, etc. Just from the addresses stored in the nav system.
If I were so inclined, I could give you a picture of his house, his name and phone number.

Even in the car I bought a year ago...2017 something, delivered from Carvana.

I know where the original owner lives, where his friends live, etc, etc. Just from the addresses stored in the nav system.
If I were so inclined, I could give you a picture of his house, his name and phone number.
That kind of information is readily available legally through many methods. Dude should have reset the car to defaults before he sold it.