Question Must HDD be connected to a certain cable/connector for BIOS to recognize?

Oct 14, 2022
Changed motherboard & PSU & HDD & they are all good and had HDD and ODD connected to the sable cable.

Everything runs normally but BIOS. First boot priority in BIOS is empty, no HDD info, just an empty blank space.

Is this because the HDD is connected to the same cable together with ODD?

With old PATA drives you have to use a jumper to set the drive as Master or Slave so that the Bios can recognize them.

But it doesn't matter with SATA devices, the Bios should show the list of connected devices.

If you don't see a SATA drive, check the power cable, reverse the data cable...

Oct 14, 2022
With old PATA drives you have to use a jumper to set the drive as Master or Slave so that the Bios can recognize them.

But it doesn't matter with SATA devices, the Bios should show the list of connected devices.

If you don't see a SATA drive, check the power cable, reverse the data cable...
Thank you.
"If you don't see a SATA drive, check the power cable, reverse the data cable..."
I use only 3 PSU cables: the 24pin cable, the CPU cable, and a SATA power peripheral cable on which a HDD and an ODD are connected. What & where is the "data cable" located?

Oct 14, 2022
Please give us a FULL list of all the parts involved here.
Make/model of everything.
Thanks

PC : Acer aspire M5700,
CPU: Intel Core2 Quad CPU,
RAM: DDR2 800 SDRAM 4G,
GPU: Removed & use on board Intel® G45,
PSU: Liteon 6301-08Ak, replaced by RM650x for test.
MB : G45T AM2 V:1.0 motherboard,
HDD: WD600BEVS Scorpio 60GB

BIOS: American Megatrend

USAFRet

Titan
This is the same system and problem?

Have you tried a different SATA data cable from the motherboard to the HDD?

Are these modular PSUs? If so, are you using ONLY the cables from each PSU?

Oct 14, 2022
This is the same system and problem?

Have you tried a different SATA data cable from the motherboard to the HDD?

Are these modular PSUs? If so, are you using ONLY the cables from each PSU?
Thanks.
Yes, I have 3 SATA data cables and tried to insert all them into 5 different SATA connectors or sockets.
The original OEM PSU was a traditional one with all the colourful wires. Then I changed PSU. The second one was an RM650x. I had the same HDD connected to ODD cable, the cable usually used to DVD drive, and BIOS of both motherboards could not recognize the HDD.

Oct 14, 2022
A SATA drive has two cables, a power cable and a data cable.

The smaller one with identical connectors is the data cable.
Thank you.
Yes. The power cable has wider connectors, twice as wide as the connectors on the data cable, and the data cable has connectors only half as wide as the power cable.
Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS