Question Must move memory to post mystery

Apr 27, 2019
I just received a "renewed" GB-BXi3-5010. It looks brand new, with the clingy plastic on the shiny part and everything. The problem is that it will not post twice in a row without me changing the memory configuration. I have two 8GB sticks. It doesn't matter which stick or which slot--I just have to change the memory configuration--either take one out, add one back, or move a single stick from one slot to the other to get it to post again.

So, for instance:
I put both sticks in, and it will post. But, if I power it down, it will not post a second time.
So, I remove one stick (either one). Now it will post again, but if I power it down it won't post a second time.
So, I put both sticks in again, but switch their slots. It will post once, but if I power it down it won't post a second time.
So, I take one stick out--it posts once but not a second time.
So, I put that stick back in--it posts once, but won't post a second time if I power it down.
And I can go back and forth, just taking the same stick in and out--with each memory configuration change, it will post just the first time and then not again after I power it down.
Every time I change the memory configuration, it will post. I can't just remove a stick and reseat it no matter how many times I try--I have to actually change the configuration to get it to post again.

It doesn't matter if I have the mSata drive in, or am just trying to boot off a USB drive.
When it won't post, the power and drive lights blink briefly about every 4 seconds.
When it does post, I never see a post screen. I see black for about 10 seconds, then the mouse/keyboard lights come on and I just see "GIGABYTE" on the screen, which flashes off then back on, before Fedora starts loading. I don't ever see the GRUB selection I'm accustom to--if it is popping up, I don't have time to see it.
I have to 'power off' to have the problem--if I 'restart' the system from the OS, the OS reboots just fine--and runs perfectly till I power it down.

The system:
Gigabyte BRIX Core i3-5010U Ultra Compact Mini PC Barebone (GB-BXi3-5010) (Renewed)
Dogfish msata 256GB MCL
Silicon Power 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3L-RAM-1600MHz (PC3 12800) 204 pin CL11 1.35V Non ECC Unbuffered SODIMM
Fedora 29

Can anyone solve this mystery?

Apr 27, 2019
Thanks for your reply.

Discharging the way you described (power disconnected and with all the RAM and SSD out) had no affect--still the same problem. (I pressed the button several times and held it in for 10 or so seconds while performing the discharge.)

I also tried the same discharge process a second time with the CMOS battery disconnected as well. This, also, did not solve the problem, though the first post after that did show the bios posst screen for the first time (with an RTC error). It then allowed me to boot into the OS with no problem--but just that once. The second time, no post again.

Bios is American Megatrends, version F4, 12-1-15, which is the same version available on Gigabyte's web site.

Apr 30, 2019
Brittm, I’ve been having the same issue as you. I came here looking for an answer after not finding a good solution anywhere else. I have to move RAM in order to get it to start. If I keep the RAM in the same slot as last startup, it won’t boot. I now have new RAM and PSU, and cleared CMOS and put in new battery. Nothing has worked. What else have you tried?

Apr 27, 2019
I spoke to the seller two days ago. They are sending me a second unit (same model, same bios, but pre-populated with RAM) that they have put on the bench and verified as functional. When I get it, I'll spin it up, and if it's functional as expected, I'll swap the RAM between the boxes and determine if the problem follows my RAM or stays with my motherboard. If their RAM works in their identical box but doesn't help in mine, then I have a motherboard failure. If their RAM does work in my box, then there just happens to be some incompatibility between the motherboard and the RAM I'm using. I'll reply back here with the results.

Apr 30, 2019
Good luck. Mine started from a build I’ve had for years and one startup it just stopped working. Even with new RAM and PSU, I’m fairly certain it’s a motherboard problem, I just want to know how to fix it or if I need to buy a new motherboard.

Apr 27, 2019
Update and resolution: It was the motherboard. What an odd failure. The vendor sent me a tested replacement unit to try, and my components (RAM and mSata) work perfectly in the replacement unit.
So, yz5150--If you've got the same symptoms, I guess you need a new motherboard.

Reactions: yz5150

TRENDING THREADS