Must push power button TWO times for complete boot.

MeatPopsycle

Reputable
Jun 26, 2016
I have run into an issue lately where I have to power on my computer twice before it will reach the login scree. The first power on will always do the same thing, which is to turn the case lights on, power up fans, and then turn back off. It is just like a normal boot, except that it does not even get into the bios screen. The second attempt works 100% of the time. This is happening with Windows 8.1 Pro. Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
From what I have read after some research, it is generally recommended to not disable the pagefile (blth by Microsoft and SSD makers).
The amount of read/writes (as in total of GB) made by the OS to the SSD because of the pagefile does not seem to be very big, and with current endurance numbers shouldn't be any concern.
About the pagefile, Windows uses it in many ways. The most obvious one is as an extension of RAM when you're running out, but that's not so common unless you have little ram or use big apps. But if you happen to require more ram than you have at a point, with no pagefile it's an automatic crash; with pagefile it just uses it.
But, the more common usage, apparently, is as a low priority 'ram', to cache things that are not...

MeatPopsycle

Reputable
Jun 26, 2016
So, I think I actually figured this out. I think, though I am not sure, that the issue might have been caused by windows defaulting to a "Fast Boot" setting. I think that, in combination with my removal of the page file, caused this issue. I am not 100% certain of this, but by disabling the fast boot, I have eliminated the issue.

Not completely related, and maybe unwanted advice, but:
I wouldn't recommend eliminating system pagefile. It is most commonly recommended to just leave it in Auto with a low minimum (~2gb), or just fix it to a lowish value (~4gb) if you really really care for that space.

MeatPopsycle

Reputable
Jun 26, 2016

I was told that it is not a good thing to have on with an SSD, just like indexing because of it's constant read/write cycles. I am stuck to only having one storage device on my computer, so I can't just set to some other drive. Also, any advice about anything is welcome in my book. Thanks.

~J

From what I have read after some research, it is generally recommended to not disable the pagefile (blth by Microsoft and SSD makers).
The amount of read/writes (as in total of GB) made by the OS to the SSD because of the pagefile does not seem to be very big, and with current endurance numbers shouldn't be any concern.
About the pagefile, Windows uses it in many ways. The most obvious one is as an extension of RAM when you're running out, but that's not so common unless you have little ram or use big apps. But if you happen to require more ram than you have at a point, with no pagefile it's an automatic crash; with pagefile it just uses it.
But, the more common usage, apparently, is as a low priority 'ram', to cache things that are not relevant enough to deserve a space on ram (with pagefile disabled, it will either cache it in ram, taking space that could be used for higher priority stuff, or directly not cached, which means less performance if that data happens to be used).
I have also read, but haven't been able to confirm, that it is also used to store data location/addresses for the OS to find them easier, similar to indexing.

So, I can't give you 100% factual data, but I believe you shouldn't disable it. You shouldn't really worry about the amount of read/writes this generates. The only worry about the pagefile should be the extra space used, but it's a nice thing to have, especially when you happen to need it, so at least 2~4gb could be a good idea.

I'll clarify that this is an ongoing discussion with different people having different opinions. MY research has made me believe what I have wrote, but other people might think otherwise. You are free to make your own choice, my biggest hope is that, at least, I have given you a reason to read a bit more on the subject and make an informed decision.

Solution

MeatPopsycle

Reputable
Jun 26, 2016
I see. What you say makes sense. I think that the problem with SSD life span is really over exaggerated. After looking into some tests that have been done by fairly reputable companies, most SSD last for many more reads and writes than the normal person will do. Other sites say that it is time, not activity, that is really the killer of the SSD memory. I have quite a bit of memory, and only see it even get to 80% full if I specify 12GB or so to dedicate itself to a specific program, such as with video editing. I think one of the big things you lose by not having a page file might be the ability to go back and check certain crash reports, as well as certain recover options. What I am going to do is create a 4gb partition on the SSD and then set that to be the page file. This will keep the reads/writes targeted at specific sectors, and should eliminate any reason to disable it. Thanks for the info.