[SOLVED] Must the motherboard be unmounted to apply thermal paste?

thosecars82

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Hello

I would like to renew thermal paste of the old Intel Core 2 Quad desktop computer of the pictures and video of the following link because it heats up way too easily:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BBAZCQXpjYyJFw2H6

Questions:
1. Must the motherboard be unmounted to apply new thermal paste between the cooler highlighted with the orange line and the CPU underneath?
I do not know where to start to unmount this cooler and be able to reach the top of the CPU.

2. Should also thermal paste be applied under the sink highlighted with a green line? I do not know whether there is also thermal paste under the mentioned sink.

3. Even though I already unscrewed the screw of the hole highlighted with a violet circle but the metal piece highlighted with the light blue circle doesn't come off. I think this metal piece is stuck somehow on the side highlighted with the red line but I do not know how to take it off as you can see on the video.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020
I dismounted motherboard just once... And I was changing thermal paste 4-5 times in 7 years. But I have good access to screws and there is no problem to dismount CPU cooler.

thosecars82

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
I already could lift the first cooler. It came off somehow without unscrewing further screws.

Nonetheless I do not know how to unmount the second cooler, the cooler highlighted with a yellow line on one of the pictures.