Must use a power supply tester to make a PSU dedicated for GPU

Jul 9, 2018
Dear website I have a 4yo Asus ROG20AJ PC, that Asus made two weird laptop power supply for this desktop pc, one for the motherboard(180W), one for the GPU(230w). I decided to upgrade the GPU then found out the GPU power supply is faulty, therefore now I've bought a new EVGA 600W bronze psu that came with a tester (basically a wire that connects the green and black cable of the 24 pin, should be the same as the paperclip PSU testing method).

The thing is that the motherboard on this PC is also unique that it doesn't use a 24 pin connector for power. So now I continue to use 180W for motherboard and 600W for GPU.
In the end, to power my GPU, I must connect the tester on to the 24pin motherboard cable of the PSU so that it can deliver power to the GPU. (Without the tester, the psu remains off cuz its not connected to a motherboard, and only connected to a gpu).

I'd love to know if this could be a long term solution. What kind of effects could a wire, instead of a motherboard, have on a PSU? Will it damage the new PSU? Will it deliver the same power as if I could set it up regularly? I couldn't find any info as unique as this on the internet so I decided to ask the best tech website available. Really hope the English is readable, and any information is appreciated! :bounce:

Jul 9, 2018

I know but this computer has SODIMM laptop ram. Now If i want to use the new GPU i have to replace ram, and find a mobo that fits a i7-4790 then find a case that isn't a mini case. That's much money that i used to buy 1070. As for shorting it seems hard to short cuz the tester just forces the new psu to be powered on. Just not sure if a 600W with a tester could replace the original 230W. Deliver the power the GPU needs and not break.

Jul 9, 2018
Think I'm looking for PSU experts that knows if there is any difference between regular PSU connection versus tester that connects to the 24pin forcing a PSU to power on. :cry:

Jul 9, 2018

Oh sorry if you didn't understand, the one that broke is the 230W original. And the 600W is brand new(bought for replacement), I just found out I couldn't use it regularly because this computer is asus designed mini case that mobo doesn't use 24 pin connector like normal people would.

Jul 9, 2018

I don't think Asus sells those separately, there are made in china replacements on ebay, but I really hope i could skip using those third party ones. The tester came with the EVGA PSU, everything I'm using is out of the box.

Well for one I'm a systems expert so that includes PSUs...

Secondary, there is really no difference other then power source needed to power that device. The connectors are the same so that's not an issue. My concern is with using a tester to simulate that connection you need in the long term.

Its a tester. Its not meant for long continuous use as you are suggesting.

What I was asking is does Asus make a PSU designed for that mobo at the 600wt that you need? I would assume they make something like a 340wt which should be more then what you need for GPU. 600wt for GPU only is way overkill.

I'm assuming its a 16 or 20 pin connector? So you if you can't find the proper PSU for that board. Then you can use an adapter. Something like this https://www.amazon.com/20-Pin-24-Pin-Supply-Adapter-Converter/dp/B0030CQ9FA

In either case. The answer is No. Don't permanently use a test connection for long term use. It's not a good idea. While it can be done to TEST. I would not recommend it for long term use.

For power use, your new PSU should be OK, AS LONG AS the power connections are correct between the power supply and your computer. If any connections are wrong, you can burn out your psu, graphics card, or motherboard.

I have seen several instances where people have jumped the 2 wires between pin 16 and 17 to start a PSU without any problems. This is actually how you test them anyway.

Pin 14 on a 20-pin connector, and pin 16 on a 24-pin connector are only used for grounding signal, to tell the PSU to power. You don't do any harm by shorting them across to the common ground on pin 15 for 20-pin connector or 17 on 24-pin connector. The motherboard does EXACTLY the same thing. This is exactly what a power jumper will do.

Thats great. I have seen many instances where the "jumper" they used made contact with something or shorted on the board. It is EXPOSED on the system and not insulated...

I would never recommend this setup to anyone for long term use when you can clearly spend $10 and purchase an enclosed adapter to avoid this from happening.

If you don't think your system is worth protecting or the 10$. Then go to town.

No true expert would advise this getto setup. It is meant for testing. Not long prolong use exactly for the reasons I mentioned.

Jul 9, 2018

41kzXsoMrQL._SY450_.jpg

asus_republic_of_gamers_g20_minipc_04.jpg

This is the PC, those bricks are the power supplies :heink: one 180W(mobo), one 230W(GPU), the two jacks above the GPU at the back is for them and replacements are hard to find without third party no names :( . Are you sure testers would damage the PSU? I really hope there is a way I can turn the new regular PSU into a dedicated GTX1070 PSU.

Jul 9, 2018
Oh after reading your replies to each other, does it mean a tester wont do damage to the PSU? So that i could use EVGA PSU plus its tester as a dedicated GPU PSU with no consequences, and can deliver the same power just as if connected to MOBO ? That'll be great!

Just like to have expert confirmation that PSU + tester = dedicated PSU. :bounce:

Well no. I'm sure you "could get away with it" but for a system you care about. I just wouldn't recommend it. I've personally seen PCs get fried because doing this and something shorted to the tester. However, I've also seen many people do it and work just fine for years. I simply don't recommend if there are better options out there.

I'm currently looking up your PC to see if there is any options but other then using an adapter like I stated earlier. I'm not seeing much here on your PC.

Could you open the case and take a picture of the inside? Specifically the PSU connectors etc...

Jul 9, 2018

hpGJ8Af.jpg

NuRFZWA.jpg

Computer after GPU pulled out to expose lower MOBO.
Welp, the original PSU uses the two plugs in the middle, the GPU one is unplugged, MOBO one is plugged.
Thats the EVGA PSU and the tester connected, the loop connects the pins Wyrm said.
CPU is under the two blowers. PSU ends at the two plugs. Hope this helps.

Jul 9, 2018

gWactfh.jpg

gzkWpBy.jpg

HVNgZ9j.jpg

Sorry I was busy :pt1cable: , honestly wasn't expecting instant replies after I made a thread.
Came with PSU in a lil plastic bag.
Hope this helps.

Jul 9, 2018

I also have questions if anyone could help, the reason I doubted the tester was that when I launched CSGO in nvidia DSRx4 (3840x2160) for fun trying out the GPU, the GPU shuts down suddenly within a minute of in game. Other games I tried are fine. This also happened only the first two times I play PUBG (high detail 1080p), then this never happened again (now only CSGO DSR). I had to reconnect the tester then reboot to let the GTX1070 display again. In theory of your conclusion this shouldn't happen at all, what may the reason be, why DSR and not any other stress tests like heaven and valley? I'd love to have some clues from exepert opinion. :jakebarnssmiley:

Jul 9, 2018

Wait wat, how does a adapter work if the mobo neither use 20 pin nor 24pin? EVGA power supply come with detachable 4 pins +20 pin connector too. Wouldn't I need a jumper on the end of the adapter too? :thinking:
Anyway thx for the speeed, im realy impressed

Well its not that exact adapter. That was just an example. You need to search for the adapter with the proper male and female pins you need for your system.

Is your tester homepage or an actual tester?

As for the random shutting off of the GPU. Are you monitoring the GPU at the time when it does it with tools? Does it lose power or just under performing?

Jul 9, 2018

Hmm for now I can't seem to make it fail again. However I'm pretty sure the first few times I tried to using the tester in game, the display just cut off and both the PSU fan and GPU fan stopped. Left me wondering if power supply made the GPU power off or GPU told the power supply to power off. Faulty power supply? Faulty tester or gpu?

Tester came with the EVGA psu box in a lil plastic bag and some screws. Dunno about the quality of it, can I trust EVGA thou.

I don't understand the random power off :( . If i were to guess with everything I know, fan turning off on the PSU should mean the tester disconnected. But this shouldn't make sense if connecting a tester since it fits perfectly on the 20+4 pin. And the only thing it does is acting as a wire that connects 2 pins.

Before asking here I took the power off as a sign that the tester is damaging to the PSU or GPU. You guys said no it won't :no:

Or is it? :heink::heink:

If the tester should've worked perfectly then faulty psu? I can return it before the 14th.

Just to be safe I'd test the PSU in another system for a few days to make sure its not the PSU.

And as i stated the first time, testers are meant for testing not prolonged use which is why I suggested not using it and finding a real solution lol

It could just be the tester.

Jul 9, 2018

Yeah it might be, today it failed again, maybe because I overclocked the GPU. And drawing power some how affects the tester and PSU.

Jul 9, 2018

[strike]Oh shoot, I just had a second thought, is it because my new PSU is using an extension cord (its pretty thick and looks pro though)?[/strike] Is my power supply damaged If it shut down mid use that many times?
nvm it failed again while pubg while connected to wall, i found there are many threads about dedicated gpu psu and this method seems to work fine, but why would my power die?

TRENDING THREADS