G

anybody know anything about Mustang? That's what I'm holding out for....

-david abraham

G

Why are you holding out for a cpu you know nothing/little about?
</troll>

G

Actually, the Mustang is supposed to be another kind of Athlon processor. It should have a reduced core size, lower power requirements and support for mobile features.

It's a nice improvement, but I wonder if it really worth the wait.

Ben

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Mustang is a chip for the server/workstation market with more cache than regular athlons plus some other enhancements. As of yesterday, AMD has taken the mustang off their roadmap. I think this is due to the fact that they will have their palomino chip in both the mainstream and server/workstation markets.

My advice would be to look for the palomino when that comes out since it will be the next mainstream chip for desktop computers. Pair that with some DDR RAM and you'll have yourself a great computer.

G

thanks Ben, any word/rumours on palomino features?

-david abraham

G

Here's what I read recently:

Mustang will have 512KB L2 on-die cache, a better Branch Prediction Unit (rumor) and an improved core at lower voltage, produced at 0.13mircon. The idea is that it will be able to match clocks with the P4 for some time.

The Athlon Corvette will be a cut-down Mustang with 256KB cache intended for the mobile market. It will also have Gemini, aka 2nd-generation PowerNow!

The Athlon Palomino comes after the Mustang, running even faster with reduced power consumption, possibly with some versions having a reduced L2 Cache for mobile and budget markets.

The Athlon Morgan is a future cheap processor, basically a Mustang-core Duron replacement.

I've also heard rumor that *very* soon AMD could push FSB to 166MHz x 2, or 333MHz. This is why some boards are supporting 166MHz. I'd apreciate anyone who could confirm this rumor.

G

Thanks for your tips. It is really helpful. Although, for the past year months, I have been hearing rumours about AMD working very intensively on Mustang core, which will totally improve the power draw of the core, and also the ability to use more L2 cache, and some built-in thermal protection of the processor (since, people are complaining, they burnt the Thunderbird in a matter of seconds when they forgot to fit a heatsink) and also to improve the branch prediction (the most primitive part of the K7 core).

And all of a sudden, they say they scrap the plan. Huh? Or AMD hit some obstrucle somewhere and trying to hide from the user?

namgorf

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This was in the tech news for those of us who never leave the forums =)

"Last week when Advanced Micro Devices Inc. began to reveal its 2001 roadmap to a meeting of analysts, previously reported here, astute readers may have wondered what had happened to the Mustang microprocessor. The reason it did not show up is that AMD has dropped plans to manufacture the chip. Executives indicated that the Palomino, the Athlon successor aimed at desktops and 1- and 2-processor servers would suffice, unless the market demanded that the Mustang be resurrected.

At the same meeting, AMD revealed that the company would introduce the 64-bit Clawhammer in Q1 2002 for high-end desktop PCs and low-end servers. Clawhammer will, reportedly, be manufactured using a 0.13-micron process."

"...and remember, when you touch yourself, the saints cry."

G

There's been a misunderstanding here: AMD canceled the Athlon Ultra, also named Mustang. BUT the mustang CORE will still come out, in the palomino and morgan form. The Athlon Ultra was a large cache version set for the server market. They probably canceled it because of the 760MP wich will come out too late next year. They probably will want the sledgehammer to be their first very high end CPU fit for servers. Also, on another topic,AMD may have canned the 760Mp in favor of the Micron chipset with 8 meg of L3 cache on it... Give it SMP capabilities and wahoo!

Note: the last line or so are pure speculation from my part. Still it is a rather educated guess and something that I already discussed with others

G

Micron's "Mamba" chipset was said to be due out in Q3 2001, and that's even if it is going to be produced. Right now I think it's more of a demo that it can be done, rather than being an actual product.

G

Hey,

As of recently the Mustang has been put on the cancel list. AMD feels that the Palmino will do the job sufficiently, and If needed they will resurrect the Mustang.

Timothy Stankus
One of the First AMD Athlon Users =)

leonov

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
There's some news at a site called ixbt (http://www.ixbt-labs.com/) that says Mamba will be released Q4 2001 and that Micron are releasing other Athlon chipsets early next year.

L

G

Hooo yes the joy, it's comning out!
hooooo the pain Q4 2001!!!!!

TRENDING THREADS