MVP Baseball 2005 problems with hitting the ball

I'm almost a 1/2 Centuary old. Last year, I enjoyed MVP Baseball 2004
game. Except I had to adjust the gameplay settings to slow the baseball
speed way down, so I could tell if it was going to be a strike, had to crank
power and contact up, and several other settings. After tweaking the game,
I could hit several homeruns in a 9 inning game. Although I still had to
focus on the screen with a twitchy finger, trying to determine if Randy
Johnsons pitch was going to be a ball or strike.

Last week I got MVP Baseball 2005. But winter must have taken a toll on
me. Cause even after adjusting most of the gameplay settings, I'm lucky if
I hit 1 homer a game. And that's with 5 long ball hitters on my team!

I don't mind that EA Sports has a Pro level that I can't play at. But even
on easy, I'm barely getting by. Any of you other old timers struggling
with this sim? Or is it time to hang up the spikes and gamepad?

OldDog wrote:
> I'm almost a 1/2 Centuary old. Last year, I enjoyed MVP Baseball 2004
> game. Except I had to adjust the gameplay settings to slow the baseball
> speed way down, so I could tell if it was going to be a strike, had to crank
> power and contact up, and several other settings. After tweaking the game,
> I could hit several homeruns in a 9 inning game. Although I still had to
> focus on the screen with a twitchy finger, trying to determine if Randy
> Johnsons pitch was going to be a ball or strike.
>
> Last week I got MVP Baseball 2005. But winter must have taken a toll on
> me. Cause even after adjusting most of the gameplay settings, I'm lucky if
> I hit 1 homer a game. And that's with 5 long ball hitters on my team!
>
> I don't mind that EA Sports has a Pro level that I can't play at. But even
> on easy, I'm barely getting by. Any of you other old timers struggling
> with this sim? Or is it time to hang up the spikes and gamepad?

Is your memory going, too? You posted the same message yesterday, under
a different header. ;-)

"godeep" <3rd@long.org> wrote in message
> OldDog wrote:
>> I'm almost a 1/2 Centuary old. Last year, I enjoyed MVP Baseball 2004
>> game. Except I had to adjust the gameplay settings to slow the baseball
>> speed way down, so I could tell if it was going to be a strike, had to
>> crank
>> power and contact up, and several other settings. After tweaking the
>> game,
>> I could hit several homeruns in a 9 inning game. Although I still had
>> focus on the screen with a twitchy finger, trying to determine if Randy
>> Johnsons pitch was going to be a ball or strike.
>>
>> Last week I got MVP Baseball 2005. But winter must have taken a toll on
>> me. Cause even after adjusting most of the gameplay settings, I'm lucky
>> if
>> I hit 1 homer a game. And that's with 5 long ball hitters on my team!
>>
>> I don't mind that EA Sports has a Pro level that I can't play at. But
>> even
>> on easy, I'm barely getting by. Any of you other old timers struggling
>> with this sim? Or is it time to hang up the spikes and gamepad?
>

> Is your memory going, too? You posted the same message yesterday, under a
> different header. ;-)

Sorry about that. I thought I changed the Subject matter and only sent 1.

Now where are my glasses?

I'm a few years older than you. I play on all-star and have no problem
hitting, or hitting home runs. You've only had the game a week. Perhaps
giving it time will improve your hitting.

Keep on plugging away. Be patient at the plate. With the "hitters eye"
on, you have a brief second to know the type of pitch coming. Wait for
your pitch and crush it. With a little more practice you can wait for
"your" pitch and the location. Then you'll really get your share of
home runs.

OldDog wrote:
> I'm almost a 1/2 Centuary old. Last year, I enjoyed MVP Baseball 2004
> game. Except I had to adjust the gameplay settings to slow the baseball
> speed way down, so I could tell if it was going to be a strike, had to crank
> power and contact up, and several other settings. After tweaking the game,
> I could hit several homeruns in a 9 inning game. Although I still had to
> focus on the screen with a twitchy finger, trying to determine if Randy
> Johnsons pitch was going to be a ball or strike.
>
> Last week I got MVP Baseball 2005. But winter must have taken a toll on
> me. Cause even after adjusting most of the gameplay settings, I'm lucky if
> I hit 1 homer a game. And that's with 5 long ball hitters on my team!
>
> I don't mind that EA Sports has a Pro level that I can't play at. But even
> on easy, I'm barely getting by. Any of you other old timers struggling
> with this sim? Or is it time to hang up the spikes and gamepad?

While I've only had MVP Baseball 2005 for about 2 weeks now, I've been
playing the MVP 2004 version for awhile now. In 2004, if I setting the
game on the easiest settings/sliders, then I could hit several homeruns a
game. Although I still thought it was hard to handle/judge some pitchers
like Randy Johnnson's fastball.

Over the last few nights, I've spent more time playing MVP 2005 trying to
get better. I really like the minigame where you try and hit the ball to a
certain area. However, I see very little improvement; its still hard for
me to judge the pitch, hard for me to send a liner down first base line, ...
either this game is harder, or my eye-hand is shot.

And like you said below, you have a "brief" sec to know what type of pitch
it is. That's fine for kids that have cat like relaxes. IMHO EA needs to
put in a "Geezer" mode.

ps I agree with "wait for your pitch" and crush it.

<phylville@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm a few years older than you. I play on all-star and have no problem
> hitting, or hitting home runs. You've only had the game a week. Perhaps
> giving it time will improve your hitting.
>
> Keep on plugging away. Be patient at the plate. With the "hitters eye"
> on, you have a brief second to know the type of pitch coming. Wait for
> your pitch and crush it. With a little more practice you can wait for
> "your" pitch and the location. Then you'll really get your share of
> home runs.
>

> OldDog wrote:
>> I'm almost a 1/2 Centuary old. Last year, I enjoyed MVP Baseball 2004
>> game. Except I had to adjust the gameplay settings to slow the baseball
>> speed way down, so I could tell if it was going to be a strike, had to
>> crank
>> power and contact up, and several other settings. After tweaking the
>> game,
>> I could hit several homeruns in a 9 inning game. Although I still had
>> focus on the screen with a twitchy finger, trying to determine if Randy
>> Johnsons pitch was going to be a ball or strike.
>>
>> Last week I got MVP Baseball 2005. But winter must have taken a toll on
>> me. Cause even after adjusting most of the gameplay settings, I'm lucky
>> if
>> I hit 1 homer a game. And that's with 5 long ball hitters on my team!
>>
>> I don't mind that EA Sports has a Pro level that I can't play at. But
>> even
>> on easy, I'm barely getting by. Any of you other old timers struggling
>> with this sim? Or is it time to hang up the spikes and gamepad?

ME

Please explain 'hitters eye'

On 2 Sep 2005 21:34:23 -0700, phylville@hotmail.com wrote:

>I'm a few years older than you. I play on all-star and have no problem
>hitting, or hitting home runs. You've only had the game a week. Perhaps
>giving it time will improve your hitting.
>
>Keep on plugging away. Be patient at the plate. With the "hitters eye"
>on, you have a brief second to know the type of pitch coming. Wait for
>your pitch and crush it. With a little more practice you can wait for
>"your" pitch and the location. Then you'll really get your share of
>home runs.
>

>OldDog wrote:
>> I'm almost a 1/2 Centuary old. Last year, I enjoyed MVP Baseball 2004
>> game. Except I had to adjust the gameplay settings to slow the baseball
>> speed way down, so I could tell if it was going to be a strike, had to crank
>> power and contact up, and several other settings. After tweaking the game,
>> I could hit several homeruns in a 9 inning game. Although I still had to
>> focus on the screen with a twitchy finger, trying to determine if Randy
>> Johnsons pitch was going to be a ball or strike.
>>
>> Last week I got MVP Baseball 2005. But winter must have taken a toll on
>> me. Cause even after adjusting most of the gameplay settings, I'm lucky if
>> I hit 1 homer a game. And that's with 5 long ball hitters on my team!
>>
>> I don't mind that EA Sports has a Pro level that I can't play at. But even
>> on easy, I'm barely getting by. Any of you other old timers struggling
>> with this sim? Or is it time to hang up the spikes and gamepad?

Watch the ball in the pitches hand, just as he releases it, it will flash a
color. Red, Green, yellow... each color indicates the type of pitch that
its going to be. For example, I believe that red means a breaking ball.
I like this concept, except the game is a little too fast for me. By the
time I recognize White, the ball is in the catcher's mitt.

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/mvp_baseball_2005.txt

HITTER'S EYE

A great deal of the marketing of this game is being spend talking about
the
new Hitter's Eye feature in the game. Some players have found it more
useful than others. You can turn it off if you wish. The general idea of
it
is to tell you which pitch type is coming. Just as the pitch is being
thrown, the ball will change colors, depending on which pitch is coming
your
way. Depending on the Camera View/Angle you have chosen, it could be of
some help. Also, some pitchers have bizarre stances, throwing manerisms,
etc, which could do much of the same as the Camera Angle.

Here is a list of the colors and which pitch(es) they represent:

White = Fastball/Cutter
Red = Curveball/Screwball/Slider/Slurve
Purple = Sinker/Splitter/Forkball
Orange = Knuckler
Green = Palmball/Changeup
"Me" <Pkevinf@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Please explain 'hitters eye'
>

> On 2 Sep 2005 21:34:23 -0700, phylville@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>>I'm a few years older than you. I play on all-star and have no problem
>>hitting, or hitting home runs. You've only had the game a week. Perhaps
>>giving it time will improve your hitting.
>>
>>Keep on plugging away. Be patient at the plate. With the "hitters eye"
>>on, you have a brief second to know the type of pitch coming. Wait for
>>your pitch and crush it. With a little more practice you can wait for
>>"your" pitch and the location. Then you'll really get your share of
>>home runs.
>>

>>OldDog wrote:
>>> I'm almost a 1/2 Centuary old. Last year, I enjoyed MVP Baseball 2004
>>> game. Except I had to adjust the gameplay settings to slow the
>>> baseball
>>> speed way down, so I could tell if it was going to be a strike, had to
>>> crank
>>> power and contact up, and several other settings. After tweaking the
>>> game,
>>> I could hit several homeruns in a 9 inning game. Although I still had
>>> focus on the screen with a twitchy finger, trying to determine if Randy
>>> Johnsons pitch was going to be a ball or strike.
>>>
>>> Last week I got MVP Baseball 2005. But winter must have taken a toll
>>> on
>>> me. Cause even after adjusting most of the gameplay settings, I'm
>>> lucky if
>>> I hit 1 homer a game. And that's with 5 long ball hitters on my team!
>>>
>>> I don't mind that EA Sports has a Pro level that I can't play at. But
>>> even
>>> on easy, I'm barely getting by. Any of you other old timers struggling
>>> with this sim? Or is it time to hang up the spikes and gamepad?

Alai

"OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.dogs> wrote in message
> I'm almost a 1/2 Centuary old. Last year, I enjoyed MVP Baseball 2004
> game. Except I had to adjust the gameplay settings to slow the baseball
> speed way down, so I could tell if it was going to be a strike, had to
> crank
> power and contact up, and several other settings. After tweaking the
> game,
> I could hit several homeruns in a 9 inning game. Although I still had to
> focus on the screen with a twitchy finger, trying to determine if Randy
> Johnsons pitch was going to be a ball or strike.
>
> Last week I got MVP Baseball 2005. But winter must have taken a toll on
> me. Cause even after adjusting most of the gameplay settings, I'm lucky
> if
> I hit 1 homer a game. And that's with 5 long ball hitters on my team!
>
> I don't mind that EA Sports has a Pro level that I can't play at. But
> even
> on easy, I'm barely getting by. Any of you other old timers struggling
> with this sim? Or is it time to hang up the spikes and gamepad?

You need to press the stick UP while hitting, for anychance of homeruns. I
hate this method btw.

> By the
>time I recognize White, the ball is in the catcher's mitt.

That's the unfortunate part, is that they chose White for the fast
ball. In that split second that you're waiting to see what color it's
going to change to, you realize too late that it's not changing to
anything.

"Alai" <iamhere@overthere.net> wrote in message
> "OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.dogs> wrote in message
>> I'm almost a 1/2 Centuary old. Last year, I enjoyed MVP Baseball 2004
>> game. Except I had to adjust the gameplay settings to slow the baseball
>> speed way down, so I could tell if it was going to be a strike, had to
>> crank
>> power and contact up, and several other settings. After tweaking the
>> game,
>> I could hit several homeruns in a 9 inning game. Although I still had
>> focus on the screen with a twitchy finger, trying to determine if Randy
>> Johnsons pitch was going to be a ball or strike.
>>
>> Last week I got MVP Baseball 2005. But winter must have taken a toll on
>> me. Cause even after adjusting most of the gameplay settings, I'm lucky
>> if
>> I hit 1 homer a game. And that's with 5 long ball hitters on my team!
>>
>> I don't mind that EA Sports has a Pro level that I can't play at. But
>> even
>> on easy, I'm barely getting by. Any of you other old timers struggling
>> with this sim? Or is it time to hang up the spikes and gamepad?
>
> You need to press the stick UP while hitting, for anychance of homeruns.
> I hate this method btw.

I've got a Logitech gamepad, and use the up button to try and hit homeruns.
The problem is the speed of the pitches. I can't react fast enough. Or
pitches that I think are going to be balls, break at the last msec for a
strike.

OldDog wrote:

> I've got a Logitech gamepad, and use the up button to try and hit homeruns.
> The problem is the speed of the pitches. I can't react fast enough. Or
> pitches that I think are going to be balls, break at the last msec for a
> strike.

It took me several weeks to adjust to the speed of the pitches myself.
No matter how much I adjust the speed in the settings, it doesn't seem
to actually slow anything down in the game...

I end up just swinging at 90% of the pitches because there's no good
way to tell where the pitch is going unless they REALLY blow it...

I seem to have decent luck that way... but not a whole lot of strategy
in when to swing and when not to.

"Ryan P." <rpaque@delete.this.part.wi.rr.com> wrote in message
> OldDog wrote:
>
>> I've got a Logitech gamepad, and use the up button to try and hit
>> homeruns. The problem is the speed of the pitches. I can't react fast
>> enough. Or pitches that I think are going to be balls, break at the
>> last msec for a strike.
>
> It took me several weeks to adjust to the speed of the pitches myself. No
> matter how much I adjust the speed in the settings, it doesn't seem to
> actually slow anything down in the game...
>
> I end up just swinging at 90% of the pitches because there's no good way
> to tell where the pitch is going unless they REALLY blow it...
>
> I seem to have decent luck that way... but not a whole lot of strategy in
> when to swing and when not to.

Makes you wonder who the beta testers were that EA used; 14 year kids hyped
up on Mountain Dew & Jelly Beans?