[SOLVED] mw305r Router keeps turning off in WDS Bridge Mode!

tejeshjadhav

Reputable
Mar 20, 2016
I've a main router Mi Wi-Fi 3C(R3L) which is connected to WAN. It has about 10 devices connected.
I've another router mw305r which i am using as a repeater. I've connecte the mw305r to Mi Wi-Fi router by WDS Bridge and then there are 4 devices connected to it.
the issue is my mw305r keeps turning off... all devices disconnect and ssid is not broadcasted, the led on router is still on.
this keeps happening randomly, especially when i try to connect more than 2 devices to mw305r router.

Mi Wi-Fi 3C(R3L) has following configuration :
Lan IP - 192.168.31.1
WiFi channel - 1
DHCP - ON
Start IP - 192.168.31
End IP - 192.168.31
Lease time - 1440(mins)

have reserved 192.168.31.2 IP for the other router

MW305R has following configuration:
Lan IP - 192.168.31.2
DHCP - OFF
WDS Bridge to the Mi Wi-Fi 3C(R3L) router
WiFi channel - 1

I cannot connect both the routers with ethernet as i do not have that long cable. one router is in one house and the other one is in my other house across the street.

Solution
You are left with few options. All the really good information about what is happening in the wifi communication is locked inside the wifi radio processors. They will not tell you why or even if connections are dropping. This is not just the cheap brands of routers this is a chipset thing even the top end routers produce little to no information about the actual wireless communication.

So it could still be a bug in the firmware but if the manufacture of your device does not want to fix things you can't do much it is not something you can fix yourself.

It could be a hardware failure but the only fix to that is to buy new equipment.

It could be interference from outside your house. Not sure what you can do about that. It...
Almost has to be a bug in the firmware on the mw305. Maybe there is a newer firmware image. The lessor known brands of routers tend to be harder to get good support for. There is nothing you can really change you set the device into bridge mode and turn on the WDS and it just "works?". Used to be you saw all kinds of issues like this on WDS since it is not part of the official standard but the vendors seem to have worked out all the issue with connecting between different brands.

tejeshjadhav

Reputable
Mar 20, 2016
Almost has to be a bug in the firmware on the mw305. Maybe there is a newer firmware image. The lessor known brands of routers tend to be harder to get good support for. There is nothing you can really change you set the device into bridge mode and turn on the WDS and it just "works?". Used to be you saw all kinds of issues like this on WDS since it is not part of the official standard but the vendors seem to have worked out all the issue with connecting between different brands.

I already updated the firmware! but didn't help!

You are left with few options. All the really good information about what is happening in the wifi communication is locked inside the wifi radio processors. They will not tell you why or even if connections are dropping. This is not just the cheap brands of routers this is a chipset thing even the top end routers produce little to no information about the actual wireless communication.

So it could still be a bug in the firmware but if the manufacture of your device does not want to fix things you can't do much it is not something you can fix yourself.

It could be a hardware failure but the only fix to that is to buy new equipment.

It could be interference from outside your house. Not sure what you can do about that. It likely is made worse since you are trying to send the signals across the street.

Since you are using the off brands of equipment I suspect money is a issue. There are much better solution designed to extend outside your house but it depends if you are willing to spend a couple hundred dollars to make this work. You can check out ubiquiti if interested.

Maybe there is a big truck parked in the street and you can ask them to move it :)

Solution

tejeshjadhav

Reputable
Mar 20, 2016
You are left with few options. All the really good information about what is happening in the wifi communication is locked inside the WiFi radio processors. They will not tell you why or even if connections are dropping. This is not just the cheap brands of routers this is a chip-set thing even the top end routers produce little to no information about the actual wireless communication.

It could be interference from outside your house. Not sure what you can do about that. It likely is made worse since you are trying to send the signals across the street.

Since you are using the off brands of equipment I suspect money is a issue. There are much better solution designed to extend outside your house but it depends if you are willing to spend a couple hundred dollars to make this work. You can check out ubiquity if interested.

Maybe there is a big truck parked in the street and you can ask them to move it :)

I'm trying to do all this because of he COVID-19 lockdown... everything is closed... so can't buy anything new nor get Ethernet wires... this setup is just temporary for the lockdown....15 day or maybe more... and across the street isn't that far... I get good reception near windows where the router is kept.