Mx 150 or i7 Laptop for editing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

megaSUPT

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
I want to buy a super light and thin laptop, that can hopefully do at least a bit of editing. In Ireland there are not many options for laptops, so im stuck with not too many. The main difference between them is that some have an i7 and some have an i5 and a GeForce MX150 2 GB, and I am wondering which makes more of a difference for editing, if all else is equal? I know that a gpu can be useful for premier pro, but does the mx150 warrant a downgrade from i7 to i5?

For reference, this is the mx150 one: https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-envy-13-3-intel-core-i5-geforce-mx150-laptop-256-gb-ssd-silver-10180947-pdt.html

And the i7: https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-530s-14-intel-core-i7-laptop-256-gb-ssd-grey-10180684-pdt.html

ikaz

Distinguished
What software do you plan on using for editing ?

The i7 is faster since it has a higher base and turbo speed, but if you plan or want to do any sort of gaming then the i5 would be better. That being said the i7 is also bigger screen at 14inch vs 13.3 screen.

They are both Quad core, so if you want game causally the MX150 is ok low end GPU much better than the ipgu that the i7 uses but again i7 should be faster though not sure how long it would be able to hold its turbo/boost speeds.

megaSUPT

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013

I use adobe premier pro and adobe Lightroom mostly, and yeah that specific laptop is a bit bigger, but there are others with similar specs that are smaller I think.

I also game a bit but I have a PC for that, so I imagine this won't be used for anything other than some Civilization 5 really.

ikaz

Distinguished
That's your call since you will be the one moving it around same goes for the price if you plan to have the laptop for 3 years plus then your talking what like extra .60 euros a month extra maybe the cost of a pack of gum a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.