[SOLVED] MX300 SMART failure

laker1706

Reputable
Jul 5, 2017
Hi guys.
so I just bought a new motherboard, Asus TUF Z490-Plus Gaming.
I installed my drives(240 GB Crucial MX300 SATA, 1TB WD BLACK HDD), and had an S.M.A.R.T failure on my main drive which is obviously the SSD.
I reinstalled windows, and turned off SMART check, got into windows and installed Crucial's software.
That's what it shows:
ljBm1O6.png

Is there anything I could do? I have this drive since 2016, warranty is over.
Anyway to repair/fix it? maybe it's not even broken and it's just some other problem because it worked flawlessly on my old mobo.
Or I should just get a new one?

Solution
It looks like you got your money's worth. Writing to an ssd causes wear and tear. Attribute 246 shows 425,818,276,039 sectors have been written to the ssd by the host pc. Since each sector is 512 bytes, about 198 TBytes have been written by the host. Another measure of the total host pc writes to the ssd is the number of NAND pages written, attribute 247. When you add in the number of NAND pages written to the ssd by the ssd's FTL controller, attribute 248, the total written exceeds the 220 TBytes endurance spec that Crucial advertised. ( https://www.crucial.com/products/ssd/mx300-ssd )

The 1487 erases (attribute 173) too shows the ssd is nearly done. Each 15 erases corresponds to a 1% reduction of Remaining Life...

Lucretia19

Reputable
Feb 5, 2020
It looks like you got your money's worth. Writing to an ssd causes wear and tear. Attribute 246 shows 425,818,276,039 sectors have been written to the ssd by the host pc. Since each sector is 512 bytes, about 198 TBytes have been written by the host. Another measure of the total host pc writes to the ssd is the number of NAND pages written, attribute 247. When you add in the number of NAND pages written to the ssd by the ssd's FTL controller, attribute 248, the total written exceeds the 220 TBytes endurance spec that Crucial advertised. ( https://www.crucial.com/products/ssd/mx300-ssd )

The 1487 erases (attribute 173) too shows the ssd is nearly done. Each 15 erases corresponds to a 1% reduction of Remaining Life.

Perhaps there's a way to continue to use the ssd as a read-only device, but I don't know, and that would probably be impractical anyway.

Assuming you install a new ssd, you can reduce the amount of host writing to it by also having a hard drive to which you can set your software to write frequently written data. I moved my Firefox profile and Firefox cache, Cyberpower UPS logs, Windows Search Index, Windows pagefile, etc, from the C: ssd to a hard drive. If some of your software seems inflexible about where it writes, you could fool it into writing to a different drive by using a symlink (the mklink /J command) to map a folder to another folder.

Last edited:
Reactions: laker1706
Solution

laker1706

Reputable
Jul 5, 2017

The 1487 erases (attribute 173) too shows the ssd is nearly done. Each 15 erases corresponds to a 1% reduction of Remaining Life.

Perhaps there's a way to continue to use the ssd as a read-only device, but I don't know, and that would probably be impractical anyway.

Assuming you install a new ssd, you can reduce the amount of host writing to it by also having a hard drive to which you can set your software to write frequently written data. I moved my Firefox profile and Firefox cache, Cyberpower UPS logs, Windows Search Index, Windows pagefile, etc, from the C: ssd to a hard drive. If some of your software seems inflexible about where it writes, you could fool it into writing to a different drive by using a symlink (the mklink /J command) to map a folder to another folder.

Thanks man I really appreciate the help, I'm going to get me a new SSD, hopefully this one would last more than just 3.5 years of gaming...
This one was formatted anyway so there's nothing to read from it...

With only 1% lifetime left I would replace it now rather than wait for it to fail.
Of course, I was just trying to figure out if it's actually shows other signs of death or it's some other problem because it happened as soon as I installed it in my new PC.

Lucretia19

Reputable
Feb 5, 2020
Assuming the 1% refers only to the amount of erasing of each cell that you can still do before the ssd locks up, and that the ssd will still be readable when it reaches 0%, then I think it's not too late to store hundreds of GBytes of data or archives to it, as long term storage intended for read-only use.

I have a fuzzy memory that the stored charge in each cell will eventually decay if it's not occasionally refreshed. So if you're interested in using it as long term read-only storage, I would research whether reading refreshes it, or whether only writing can refresh it.

Regarding the "coincidence" that you discovered the problem as soon as you installed the ssd in the new pc, perhaps some software on the new pc detected the problem, and the old pc didn't try to detect it. Was the old pc running SMART monitoring software? Was it an old version of SMART software that doesn't pay attention to ssd remaining life?

Reactions: laker1706