[SOLVED] MX500 slow speed on large data on empty drive.

anant024

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2013
View: https://imgur.com/a/2Awg7YU
hi i got mx500 2tb today and was transferring large data to it, in 1st 10min speed dropped to less than 300MB/sec. Other SSD is 860 evo, and when transferring data from both drive i can even play video files off Samsung evo but can't on mx500 ? so what is happening here? i would expect speeds of 500MB/sec?

shall i just get samsung evo ?

crucial temp: 57C and samsung evo 47C, room temp: 30C

can I remove case and use crucial SSD and reduce temp ?

i ran crystal disk mark on both before transferring data and both showed read and write above 500MB/sec for 16gb file selection and all those 4k read and write looked good too !

Last edited:
Solution
ok guyz thanks its new ssd so wanted to check but surely was expecting similar speeds of atleast 400MB/sec considering cost, manufactures need to work better to build devices which can handle multiple files, than to just post their speed results on best of circumstances. its pretty common on large size SSD to move large files/data every now and then..
Try that same operation between 2x HDD.
Vastly slower.

SSDs are already fast.
What happens in this case is the OS. After each file, the OS has to stop and think for a bit.
Then, locate the next file and start that same copy function.
Wash, rinse, repeat 1,000 times.

As said, a single large file of that same cumulative size, and you might see that "500MBs" value.
View: https://imgur.com/a/2Awg7YU
hi i got mx500 2tb today and was transferring large data to it, in 1st 10min speed dropped to less than 300MB/sec. Other SSD is 860 evo, and when transferring data from both drive i can even play video files off Samsung evo but can't on mx500 ? so what is happening here? i would expect speeds of 500MB/sec?

shall i just get samsung evo ?

crucial temp: 57C and samsung evo 47C, room temp: 30C

can I remove case and use crucial SSD and reduce temp ?

i ran crystal disk mark on both before transferring data and both showed read and write above 500MB/sec for 16gb file section and all those 4k read and write looked good too !
Run this and post a link to the results.
PC Benchmark

anant024

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2013
ok guyz thanks its new ssd so wanted to check but surely was expecting similar speeds of atleast 400MB/sec considering cost, manufactures need to work better to build devices which can handle multiple files, than to just post their speed results on best of circumstances. its pretty common on large size SSD to move large files/data every now and then..

USAFRet

Titan
Try that same operation between 2x HDD.
Vastly slower.

SSDs are already fast.
What happens in this case is the OS. After each file, the OS has to stop and think for a bit.
Then, locate the next file and start that same copy function.
Wash, rinse, repeat 1,000 times.

As said, a single large file of that same cumulative size, and you might see that "500MBs" value.

Solution