[SOLVED] mx500 won't boot after windows install

fastcompany2

Prominent
Oct 8, 2018
Hi I bought a crucial mx500 500gb ssd for a friend of mine. Its a samsung laptop model NP365e5c. its an older windows 8 laptop. I got the latest release of windows 10 on a bootable usb drive. I go through the install it detects to mx500 I can go ahead and select the un allocated space and it copies files and what not. then comes the first reboot at which point I get the Samsung logo forever. No spinning dots underneath. I tried this a few times making sure I was using a proper uefi windows installer. I made sure to turn secure boot off uefi on set my boot priority to the SSD then the USB and then select to then boot to the usb. I then go ahead and delete all the partitions and try it again. No dice. I took one of my old WD Black drives and tossed it in there and loaded windows 10 no sweat. after the first reboot with the wd during the install process the samsung logo comes up for a solid 10 minutes but it has the spinning dots under it the whole time. I let the mx500 sit on that screen for about 3 hours last night. the system fan starts screaming but nothing happens. ... I'm running some test on the drive now and I think I'm going to toss it in another system to verify that I can load windows 10 on and that it will boot but does anyone have any suggestions?

Solution
Ok fixed. Turn secure boot off brings up options for using uefi ,csm and legacy. I've seen this before due to me having to turn secure boot off to install Windows via USB. I set it to csm and did another fresh install. It works it really works lol. Fast boots every time. I ran a benchmark and I was getting an average of 340 read and write with amd ahci driver and 380 with Microsoft standard ahci driver. Both kinda crap but I'll take it. A little bit more setup on this machine for what he'll be using it for and then I get paid. It's a good day. If someone could tell me though how using csm made this work.....I've never selected that on any install. I have fairly modern equipment and have installed everything from windows 98 to windows...

fastcompany2

Prominent
Oct 8, 2018
ok so just ran seagates drive tools. ran the extended test and everything passed. if I run the SMART test it fails....I also forgot to mention that after I got windows 10 to boot up on my old wd drive I went ahead and cloned it to the ssd. I have a dual drive dock with offline cloning. Have no used the clone function before but ya that didn't work either.

fastcompany2

Prominent
Oct 8, 2018
Ok so continuing here. still looking for answers lol. Last night I tried the install again and I said screw it I'm going to let it on the logo screen all night and I went to bed. Just woke up and there was the rest of the setup screen. So I finished setup and signed in with my microsoft account and got to my desktop. Had some pop ups for my touch pad needing a restart to be setup so I restarted. I took my usb key out prior to the restart and then entered bios to turn fastboot and secure boot back on. Its now been about 15 minutes on the samsung logo again. I'm going to assume if I leave it here for an un determined amount of time it will boot to windows again but I'm obviously missing something. This laptop has an AMD motherboard which I'm not used to playing with. Is there some sort of storage driver I need? Other than just having microsoft ahci storage controller. On all the intel systems I've got Intel rapid storage drivers. This laptop is not really supported for windows 10 but it had a working version of it before I started everything and once again I know that I don't have an issue if using an HDD to install windows 10 onto.

fastcompany2

Prominent
Oct 8, 2018
ok so hopefully by the time someone responds I'll have a ton of info here. I yanked the drive back out and tossed it in my dell e6430 laptop. used the same installation media and deleted all the partitions and setup windows 10 home just like the samsung. I swear within 4 minutes I was looking at my desktop. I restarted and everything was fine. So the drive is definitively not an issue.

fastcompany2

Prominent
Oct 8, 2018
ok talking to myself here still hoping a guru will help me out. Boot takes roughly 2 hours. I think I have it narrowed down to there is no sata controller in device manager....period there is none. Amd says something about not using their driver on something as new as windows 10. I need to use microsoft standard ahci driver. but I'm not updating anything there is no sata controller listed in device manager. I was confused before because there is a storage controller and driver and my ssd shows up with a driver but I didn't realize I was looking for a 3rd device which is just the sata controller. Any help with how I can add a device ?

fastcompany2

Prominent
Oct 8, 2018
checked the firmware already. it has the latest already on the drive. I've just never ran into this before. the only things i've been putting ssds in have been from this era. but i've never played with an amd based system. i managed to get the standard microsoft ahci driver in place as per amds rec. I don't think it made a difference. still looks like its taking 2 hours to boot. once the system is up and going the system seems very snappy which is what i'm used to with a ssd. I didn't run any benchmarks seeing that i still have a big problem but I usually run userbenchmark just to get an idea how a system is working after I have it together. I did buy this on newegg and I have premier so I don't have an issue returning it. Any recommendations on an older ssd that amd likes lol?

Sep 1, 2019
You are not alone. I have the exact same issue on my gigabyte board. Odd thing is I have a cruial bx500 ssd that works fine. I posted on here a few weeks ago and was told to request a new drive. Please post any updates!

fastcompany2

Prominent
Oct 8, 2018
So you replaced a mx500 with a bx500 and it fixed it? For the dollar difference I never bought a bx drive. Interesting. Well I'll be on the phone with crucial in a bit. They want me to change some services.

fastcompany2

Prominent
Oct 8, 2018
Ok I read through your topic. I'd almost live with 3 minutes lol. This laptop just gets turned on at the start of the day and pretty much left on. 2 hours doesn't work though. I just got home and have kid duty here for a little bit then back on the phone with crucial I go.

fastcompany2

Prominent
Oct 8, 2018
ok called crucial. first tech I was on the phone with (I was driving home) said she wanted to change some services or something. I had her take my information so another tech could assist me once I got home. This tech could not find my information from my email address so offered to just assist me. short story shorter he said its a microsoft problem and to contact either samsung or microsoft to have the issue resolved. so absolutely zero help and no trouble shooting tips what so ever. what a freaking joke.

fastcompany2

Prominent
Oct 8, 2018
Ok well I have 2 other systems with ssds right now. One is using a mx500 and my laptop is using an Intel 545s. I guess I'm going to clone the 545s so I have a backup and then I'll try it in this Samsung obviously wiping it and doing another fresh install

fastcompany2

Prominent
Oct 8, 2018
Well I just bought a hdd dock so backups and cloning are still a little new to me. I don't have anything important on my Intel drive right now but enough applications I don't feel like re installing. I'm running a full backup now onto a 1tb drive and then I'll make a clone onto another drive so I can try and clone back to my SSD when I'm all done screwing around. It's going to take a little while and the way things are going I'm going to lose all my data anyways lol. I will to report back if the Intel drive works in this Samsung. I already verified that the crucial drive works in my Dell. If it matters my Intel 545s has been awesome. I bought it about a year and a half ago laptop has been on 24/7 I've loaded it up a few times and wiped it and started fresh a few times. Not one single issue. Checking reviews though shows that my results are not typical

fastcompany2

Prominent
Oct 8, 2018
Ok fixed. Turn secure boot off brings up options for using uefi ,csm and legacy. I've seen this before due to me having to turn secure boot off to install Windows via USB. I set it to csm and did another fresh install. It works it really works lol. Fast boots every time. I ran a benchmark and I was getting an average of 340 read and write with amd ahci driver and 380 with Microsoft standard ahci driver. Both kinda crap but I'll take it. A little bit more setup on this machine for what he'll be using it for and then I get paid. It's a good day. If someone could tell me though how using csm made this work.....I've never selected that on any install. I have fairly modern equipment and have installed everything from windows 98 to windows server 2016 and a few different Linux distros

Solution