Question My 100% new computer won’t recognize my graphics card

Jan 26, 2021
I am building my first PC with all new parts. The list is in my signature. The last thing installed was the gpu. Before installing it I powered up the system to make sure everything else worked and that it would boot into the bios and post properly. It was fine. After mounting my GPU vertically, plugging in the riser cable to the PCIe slot, plugging in the daisy-chain power cable to the gpu, hooking up the DPI cable to the gpu and turning on the system, I got a series of beeps from my mobo indicating the vga was not detected. When I moved the cable to the mobo’s DPI video port, I got an error:”Reboot and Select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key”. I know the new DPI cable isn’t the problem because the system did the same thing wit an HDMI cable. I am new at this so any help would be appreciated.

I am building my first PC with all new parts. The list is in my signature. The last thing installed was the gpu. Before installing it I powered up the system to make sure everything else worked and that it would boot into the bios and post properly. It was fine. After mounting my GPU vertically, plugging in the riser cable to the PCIe slot, plugging in the daisy-chain power cable to the gpu, hooking up the DPI cable to the gpu and turning on the system, I got a series of beeps from my mobo indicating the vga was not detected. When I moved the cable to the mobo’s DPI video port, I got an error:”Reboot and Select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key”. I know the new DPI cable isn’t the problem because the system did the same thing wit an HDMI cable. I am new at this so any help would be appreciated.
Full system speccs it's not showing.

Jan 26, 2021
Full system speccs it's not showing.
Thermaltake View 71 TG RGB+ full tower case, Thermaltake Riing Plus 140mm TT Premium Edition case fans x4 (top and rear)
Thermaltake Riing Plus 120mm TT Premium Edition case fans x7, Thermaltake Floe Riing 360 TT Premium Edition AIO cooler
Asus Rog Strix Z390 Gaming-E motherboard, Intel i9-9700K CPU, Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2x16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Seagate Barracuda Compute 2TB, Western Digital Black SN750 2TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD, Thermaltake veritcal mount riser cable,
Corsair HX1200 PSU, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB Aorus Video Card (mounted vertically), Creative Labs Z PCIE 24-bit 96kHz Sound Card, ViewSonic 1440p monitor, Logitech Z623 200Watt 2.1 Channel speakers

Jan 26, 2021
Phaaze88, I would try that, but my AIO rad and 3 fans are mounted on a side intake and my GPU is just a little too long to fit horizontally in that configuration. I would hate to have to unmount my AIO and undo all my cable management to try that before maybe trying something less labor intensive. Getting that GPU on that vertical mount took way too much effort and customization and is a horror story all its own. I just got it on today. It isn't totally off the table though.

johnsoner13

Respectable
Phaaze88, I would try that, but my AIO rad and 3 fans are mounted on a side intake and my GPU is just a little too long to fit horizontally in that configuration. I would hate to have to unmount my AIO and undo all my cable management to try that before maybe trying something less labor intensive. Getting that GPU on that vertical mount took way too much effort and customization and is a horror story all its own. I just got it on today. It isn't totally off the table though.
Thermaltake isnt exactly known to make the highest quality parts and knowing that youre using a pcie riser from them, i wouldnt bother trouble shooting until you rule that out first. Kinda silly in my opinion when people come and ask for help, then go “i dont feel like it, lets try something easier that wont take time”, especially when it’s one of the more probable causes

Reactions: Fiorezy

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
@KarlSpuhl
Well, I mean...
I am building my first PC with all new parts. The list is in my signature. The last thing installed was the gpu. Before installing it I powered up the system without the gpu to make sure everything else worked and that it would boot into the bios and post properly. It was fine. After mounting my GPU vertically, plugging in the riser cable to the PCIe slot, plugging in the daisy-chain power cable to the gpu, hooking up the DPI cable to the gpu and turning on the system, I got a series of beeps from my mobo indicating the vga was not detected. When I moved the cable to the mobo’s DPI video port, I got an error:”Reboot and Select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key”. I know the new DPI cable isn’t the problem because the system did the same thing wit an HDMI cable. I am new at this so any help would be appreciated.
It was looking good until you jumped straight to the vertical mount. Like, why did you skip testing the gpu normally?
So you got it to POST and were able to log into Windows, etc, sans gpu? Ok.
I guess I can't blame you for rushing things a little, but the next step should've been installing the gpu normally and checking POST/log in again like you did before.
As it looks now, it's either the riser or the gpu, and if you hadn't skipped the normal installation, you'd likely already know which it was.

I don't believe just me or johnsoner13 would be the only ones thinking this either. I can see others looking at this thread and:
"Why'd they skip installing the gpu normally? "
"You know, it's probably the riser. They are a mixed bag, especially the cheaper ones."

Then there's this:

Reactions: dotas1
Jan 26, 2021
Hey all, thanks for the input. I guess I know what I am doing with my day off today. A few clarifications are perhaps in order first...
my AIO rad and 3 fans are mounted on a side intake and my GPU is just a little too long to fit horizontally in that configuration.
This is the reason I did not try to get to POST with the video card. I tried to put it in directly to the mobo at the same time as everything else and found out it didn’t fit. In my noobness I didn’t think to try it with the riser cable at that time. I was more concerned about everything else.
why did you skip testing the gpu normally?
See above. I was a fair way into my build before I got the YouTube video about common beginner mistakes; one was not bench testing your parts before starting/finishing your build.
able to log into Windows
Windows is not installed yet. I have not gone beyond the “put it all together”phase and I am using blank HDD’s.

itsdigger

Reputable
Jan 11, 2018
Yes it does and you can on your own however your not suppose to if i remeber correctly in the terms and agreements or somewhere they request that if YOU solve YOUR problem request the chat be closed dont select your answer as the right option...

I would never select the best answer option for someone else's posts. That would be very rude.