Question My 1050 Ti 4GB had some smoke coming from it. Can it be repaired ?

Nov 12, 2021
Guys my Graphics Card showed some smoke coming from it and isn't booting up. Its the 1050ti 4GB OC edition. I'm attaching the image of the the burnt part. Does any of you know that it can be repaired or not ?
WhatsApp_Image_2021-11-12_at_3.50.21_PM.jpeg

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Looks like a blown MOSFET. Could be an indication of a PSU issue, but looking at the amount of dust the card is caked in, I would say it is just the card.

A lot of these 1050Ti cards are starting to blow MOSFETs, I think the issue is mainly in MSI cards. MSI seem to have used very poor quality MOSFETs in their voltage regulators in their 1050s.

Whether or not this card is actually an MSI card, I would always recommend avoiding all MSI hardware.

Reactions: Dj0gany
Looks like a blown MOSFET. Could be an indication of a PSU issue, but looking at the amount of dust the card is caked in, I would say it is just the card.

A lot of these 1050Ti cards are starting to blow MOSFETs, I think the issue is mainly in MSI cards. MSI seem to have used very poor quality MOSFETs in their voltage regulators in their 1050s.

Whether or not this card is actually an MSI card, I would always recommend avoiding all MSI hardware.
Dang I have an MSI 1050 ti where did you here about this MOSFET issue with MSI cards?

Harry_Wild

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2012
I have a low profile 1050 ti card.

Sure it can be repair if you are an EE graduate student and have access to the college micro electronics lab. No trouble! That is what the EE lab does and much more too! A sophisticated computer repair place can do it too. Cost a fortune however. Just see if you can get repair or swapped out under warranty. Worth a try since they are pretty expensive cards now, at least for my price range now!

InvalidError

Titan
Sure it can be repair if you are an EE graduate student and have access to the college micro electronics lab.
Although it may help, you don't need an EE degree or a particularly fancy lab to do MOSFET and SMD replacements. You can get a decent soldering and hot-air station with necessary consumables to get started for about $200.

First thing to do though would be to remove all of the blown FETs and then mesure diode drop from Vcore/Vmem to ground. If 12V went to GPU, the core will be shorted to ground and that would require a new GPU chip. Swapping a large BGA is doable with cheap tools, though require much greater skills than dealing with FETs and vanilla SMDs.

On a card this dusty, I would suspect conductive dust quite possibly being the root cause.

Nov 12, 2021
And you would be well advised to investigate what caused it to start smoking in the first place (ie it could have been caused by a faulty/cheap PSU, for example).
If you simply install a new graphics card without investigating the cause, you could end up with another fried card.

What is PSU make & model & approximate age ?
the thing is my father does not trust me in terms of pc and other components. i just told him to buy an ssd for me and he said he knows a friend who has a shop and will get it for cheaper.
Then when he bought the ssd ( which happened to be of same price as amazon but still my dad :) ) he told me to give it to shop for installation and windows etc. i said i can install its a piece of cake but he wont listen. At last i gave him and he was doing some work. when i came to take my pc he be like sir its smoking. he ruined my first ever pc's important part and i wont be able to buy that again :). he was doing something suspicious , he wont give me money instead gave me a 710 , so i didnt give him any money for ssd. that was the case.

Nov 12, 2021

mine is GALAX not MSI

Nov 12, 2021
Kind of the same. Galax / Palit / Gainward have many names because their reputation is very bad and they change their name often to make it seem like they’re someone else.

Both Galax and MSI are run by the Taiwanese electronics mafia and should be avoided.
lol yeah , but it was my first ever pc built. ill be aware next time. tbh ill buy a laptop in few months so no need for crying over this gpu now :) buying ASUS TUF A15 with ryzen 7 4800h and rtx 3050