[SOLVED] My 1070 has died...I think

May 16, 2020
I recently turned on my machine (running on a 10 year old gigabyte motherboard and similarly old i5) to find that it booted but the screen never came on , although the monitor led changed from amber to blue. After some poor diagnostics on my part, mainly due to thinking my motherboard speaker was in and not hearing in worrying post bleeps, I leapt at the opportunity to upgrade my machine to better reflect the 1070 (Palit Jetstream) sitting inside it.
I've upgraded to an Aorus x570 Elite and a Ryzen 5 3600 and 32 GB of Corsair ram and kept the 500w coolermaster PSU. The same problem still presents itself. I plugged in the motherboard speaker and posting takes a lot longer than normal but it still seems ok, I get the correct single bleep that I do with the 660 in, except the fact the screen never comes on. I cursed myself and swapped out my old GTX 660 and the machine boots up fine. So it's clearly the GPU. The fans on the 1070 spin up and the side LEDs come on. so it's powered.

Neither my old nor new CPU have onboard graphics and I can't run the 660 and 1070 at the same time without one not being fully powered. I have tried to run both with the 1070 only powered from the slot and then install the specific palit drivers (it wouldn't install without detecting the GPU) and that hasn't made a difference . I guess I could try to flash the bios but I'm a little nervous as I'd rather do that with the 1070 being fully powered. I'm at my wit's end at this point. I've tried very little and nothing's worked. I wondered if it's somehow that the PSU can't supply enough power to the GPU but the 660 takes 2 6 pins and seems to run ok (not that I've played much with it)
I wouldn't be averse to buying a new GPU except I feel that 3000 series is not that far away and I've got a Gsync monitor so I want to stick with Nvidia. I've upgraded everything else and I want to enjoy my new beefier machine with a beefy GPU, ideally the one I already own!
Help!

Solution
Hi mate,

Surprised nobody has gotten to this before me. It seems some issues get lots of support and others get overlooked.

I'll be the first person to admit my knowledge of GPU's is far from being excellent, however you have already tried to best means of troubleshooting, using two separate systems! Based on what you have said, it does indeed sound like the 1070 has failed in some way. I highly doubt the issue lies in the PSU being unable to supply sufficient power.

Cheers,

Trav

Spec13

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013
Hi mate,

Surprised nobody has gotten to this before me. It seems some issues get lots of support and others get overlooked.

I'll be the first person to admit my knowledge of GPU's is far from being excellent, however you have already tried to best means of troubleshooting, using two separate systems! Based on what you have said, it does indeed sound like the 1070 has failed in some way. I highly doubt the issue lies in the PSU being unable to supply sufficient power.

Cheers,

Trav

Solution
May 16, 2020
Thanks very much. I guessed as much but it's hard giving up what was a fairly expensive piece of kit and accept I have to buy something new. Especially as now seems to be a bad time to buy a GPU. I would have preferred to wait for Ampere to come out before my next upgrade. I've got a G-Sync monitor so I'm hesitant to go AMD.
I think I may get 1660 of some sort and wait until these supposedly stonking new 3000 series cards make an appearance.