Question My 10yr old son wants a gaming computer for Christmas, and I'm lost!

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 19, 2020
Hello,

My son has been asking for a gaming computer for a couple years now, but I cannot justify spending thousands of dollars on a computer for a 10 year old.

So the last couple of nights after he has gone to bed, I have sat up and researched how to build an entry level gaming PC. I've found everything is cheaper to build, rather than buy it. But, every video I watch and every website I go to they promise one price but when I go and price it, I'm right back at around a thousand dollars.

With 2020 being such a... "great" year, I would like to get him what he is asking for but I can't break the bank. I am just looking for something that we can build together, and will let him play his Minecraft and Fortnite. It doesn't have to have the best graphics, or the most memory. I just want to be able to upgrade it as time goes on. I understand that gaming PC's by nature are expensive, but I would like to stay around $500 or lower if possible.

I am not too worried about the peripherals, as he already has a monitor, and being a 10 yr old boy he will most likely destroy any keyboard and mouse I buy.
Sceptre 30-inch Curved Gaming Monitor 21:9 2560x1080 Ultra Wide Ultra Slim HDMI DisplayPort up to 200Hz Build-in Speakers, Metal Black (C305B-200UN)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TXM7K4T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Any and all advise will be much appreciated!

Justin

artk2219

Distinguished
Cyberpower is trash, period.
That's not entirely true, although I've totally gotten cyberpower machines and cases as trash before. Then I've removed the branding, replaced broken components (The power supply and \ or motherboard, the power supply almost always gets replaced, its usually a trash unit), then upgraded and resold them. That being said, no way would I recommend them as an oem, use a local shop, get something from a better oem, or build it yourself if possible.

Last edited:

wrathofdragon

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2012
Hello,

My son has been asking for a gaming computer for a couple years now, but I cannot justify spending thousands of dollars on a computer for a 10 year old.

So the last couple of nights after he has gone to bed, I have sat up and researched how to build an entry level gaming PC. I've found everything is cheaper to build, rather than buy it. But, every video I watch and every website I go to they promise one price but when I go and price it, I'm right back at around a thousand dollars.

With 2020 being such a... "great" year, I would like to get him what he is asking for but I can't break the bank. I am just looking for something that we can build together, and will let him play his Minecraft and Fortnite. It doesn't have to have the best graphics, or the most memory. I just want to be able to upgrade it as time goes on. I understand that gaming PC's by nature are expensive, but I would like to stay around $500 or lower if possible.

I am not too worried about the peripherals, as he already has a monitor, and being a 10 yr old boy he will most likely destroy any keyboard and mouse I buy.
Sceptre 30-inch Curved Gaming Monitor 21:9 2560x1080 Ultra Wide Ultra Slim HDMI DisplayPort up to 200Hz Build-in Speakers, Metal Black (C305B-200UN)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TXM7K4T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Any and all advise will be much appreciated!

Justin
I would recommend you go with an AM4 Ryzen...
about 100 CPU for entry level and comes with great cooler (plus since there are new chips out, many people are getting rid of their "old" ones)
about 100 mother board ( or up to 200 for a really fancy one)
some DDR 4 ram ( Facebook marketplace in my area has like 8-24 GB for 50$)
up to 100 for a good power supply (don't cheap out on this. it sucks if you either fry your expensive parts or if they cant perform as they should just cause you saved 20$ and bought a wish special no name brand)
spend from 10$+ for a case (mostly looks from there on)

you can run minecraft and fortnight without a discreet graphics card at first, wait for a good deal, AM4 is very upgrade-able, so you can get something like a 2200g (4 core 4 thread with onboard graphics 100$ new or 50 used) and wait for a good deal on that. since there are new GPU and CPU coming out, you can find unprecedented deals now.

its a great beginner system. lots of room to grow.

Reactions: artk2219

MorganPike

Prominent
Jan 8, 2020
My brother is currently shopping for a system, with my help. His current pc is about 15 yrs old now. He wanted me to help build him one, like I did with his current system. Unfortunately, there are now 4 states between my brother and I and I don't relish the idea of remoting in every time a potential problem might arise.

So I've convinced him to buy a pre-built this time so he will have a warranty on the whole box. Although there is certainly something to be said for building your own, with all the experience that offers, not everyone really cares how their computer works. They just want to use it and ask for help if something goes wrong.

The OP for this particular thread I believe has expressed a desire to build the pc with his son. My first response recommended he purchase a pre-built but that was my bad as I wasn't paying proper attention to what the OP had requested.

So, in my humble opinion, there are valid arguments for both DIY and pre-built, depending, as is so often the case, on various goals.

Reactions: artk2219

artk2219

Distinguished
Because the previous gen sucks, to be honest. A used optiplex could have a wide range of components, from trashy 3rd gen intel to core 2 duo to a 9700. The 970 is very outdated and weak in comparison to its modern counterparts.

The GTX 970 may be an old gpu at this point, but it'll still game at about the same level as a GTX 1650 or RX 570, which is totally enough to get you into 1080p gaming. Obviously it may not last as long given its already so long in the tooth, but itll do you fine as a hold over until you can get a better GPU if you have one laying around or can find one super cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.