My 1200$ gaming rig

Sathvick

Reputable
Feb 3, 2016
Pls check out these components I've used in my rig...and reply for any changes. ..
1)intel i5 4690k quad core unlocked lga 1150
2)msi z97 gaming 5 motherboard
3)corsair vengeance ddr3 16gb ram 2×8gb
3)seasonic s12 series 620 watt psu with 80+ Bronze certification. .
4)corsair carbide spec o3. .case
5)Seagate barracuda 1tb hard disk.
6)msi to 390 8g gpu
7)benq 24inch ew24ool monitor. .
8)corsair hydro series h55 water cooler.

Pls tell any change ...
And about the gpu is it good ....like is it compatible, does it provide good performance, and I've hetd that it gets pretty hot...

Gallarian

Distinguished
All seems fine to me. Can I ask though, is that US dollars?

As for your GPU choice, it is a very good one.

A 390 is AMD's equivalent of Nvidia's GTX 970, and actually outperforms it in many (if not most) games. However, it does run hotter and consumes more power than the 970, but nothing your PSU and case can't deal with - though it will increase the cost of running your PC a little.

Side note: If you are thinking of buying 'Tom Clancy's The Division' when it comes out next week, Im pretty sure you can get it free with a 970 right now.

Here's an alternative $1200 USD build based around the newer Skylake platform and with one of the best 1080p gaming monitors you can get:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($244.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H55 57.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($56.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($82.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($304.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($248.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $1177.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Gallarian

Distinguished

No worries, it was just so I could post an alternative system for you to consider. Your original one is absolutely fine though. #

The cooling will be fine as your chosen case comes with sufficient 120mm fans (one on the front for intake, and one on the back for exhaust) - many studies have shown that once you have 2 fans set up like this, adding any more doesnt have much impact at all.

The CPU cooler you have chosen is fairly low end when it comes to 'All-in-One' (AIO) watercoolers, but will still perform as well as a similarly prices Air cooler, and is therefore absolutely fine.

Gallarian

Distinguished

Yes. Both your motherboard and Case will support dual graphics cards.

HOWEVER. If you are going to chose the AMD 390 over the Nvidia GTX 970, you are going to need a more powerful PSU to handle running two off them in CrossFire (minimum of good quality 850watt)

Sathvick

Reputable
Feb 3, 2016
Regarding the os should I use win 10 or win 8.1??
And will the gpu enough for the next 4 to 5 years do gaming (most preferably 1080p)...even if I upgrade to a 4k monitor will it suffice...

Gallarian

Distinguished

1) Windows 10 - Though you won't see any performance gains in games between the two, Win10 is an all round nicer OS to use on a daily basis. Also, Win10 is the only OS to support DX12, which will feature in many new games over the next few years. You can also customise Win10 to your liking much more than is possible with 7 or 8.

2) A GTX 970 or R9 390 will suffice for playing modern games at high settings @1080p for the next 2 years. After that, either card will still be able to play modern titles, but you'll start having to turn settings down or deal with lower framerates as time goes on. In 4 years, they will both be pretty much obsolete.

3) Niether card will allow you to properly game at 4K. Both cards will run a 4K monitor for daily non-gaming use, but will not give you what most people consider a 'playable' experience at that resolution now or ever.

Gallarian

Distinguished
Yes and no. You can lower the GPU's temperature by turning up the fans on the graphics card using a program like MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision, but theres no way to do it without turning the fans up (which generates a lot more noise).