Question My 120GB boot drive ran out of space, so I bought a 1TB SSD and just duplicated the partition. Now I can't format that drive.

Mar 15, 2022
It was very stupid of me, but I duplicated the partition and booted to that. After Windows did its thing, it was running off of that SSD. When I realized that I was stupid and now still running low on boot drive storage I booted back on the old drive, it boots perfectly well there.

I tried to format the new drive to restart but it says that I cannot and returns the following error: View: https://imgur.com/a/8Kc2UBS

So I tried unplugging the new drive just to make sure I could still boot to the old drive, and I cant. It POSTs but doesn't boot. It goes straight to my BIOS. Plugging in the new drive makes it boot right up again.

Here's a screenshot of my disk management page: View: https://imgur.com/a/9ZaYpUn

Can my stupidity be undone?

EDIT: I am creating an installation tool right now if I need it.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
how did you "duplicate the partition"??

something like this should be done with cloning software but it sounds like you did some sort of copy and paste type move. it seems like you moved the partitions but the system reserve is still pointing to the install on your old drive.

you're most likely only fix is to start over. remove EVERY drive but the new ssd and remove EVERY partition so it is 100% empty unpartitioned space. then start installing windows and let it create what it needs as it goes. once windows is up and running, you can plug the old drive in and format it for other uses. all of the partition work can be done from the installer usb by selecting advanced install (or might be called custom install still)

I booted back on the old drive, it boots perfectly well there.....................I tried unplugging the new drive just to make sure I could still boot to the old drive, and I cant.

Confusion.

Confirm:

Can you still boot the PC with ONLY the old drive connected?

If yes, you should be able to recover by then:

1; cloning old drive to new drive

or

2; imaging old drive to new drive

or

3; clean install to the new drive with all other drives disconnected.

USAFRet

Titan
Can my stupidity be undone?
If the system does NOT boot with ONLY the old drive connected, your only option is a clean OS install.