[SOLVED] My 144 hz monitor is not smooth in games

badeavlad22

Prominent
Aug 22, 2018
Hello.So i have an AOC G2460PF Freesync monitor and my pc components are:
intel i5 9400f
gtx 1060 3gb (i know that the gpu uses g-sync and not freesync but i can still activate the option)
8 gb ram 2666 mhz
When i'm playing games on which i get more than 144 fps, the game looky knida ugly and not that smooth like an 144 hz monitor should do.(yes, i activated the 144 hz from the display settings)I tried to cap the fps to 144 and that makes the game more smoother on certain games,but not on all of them.I have g-sync activated, and v-sync is off(causes input lag).Is there any way of fixing this issue without having to enable v-sync?

Solution
Gpu usage is fine. Cpu in RL seems low but i don't play it so not sure if it's just how the game utilises the cpu.

Another stick of ram would help. Trouble with buying unmatched sticks not in a kit is the possibility the new stick might not get along with the old even if same specs. If try another stick, being able to return it if had trouble would be good.
Hello.So i have an AOC G2460PF Freesync monitor and my pc components are:
intel i5 9400f
gtx 1060 3gb (i know that the gpu uses g-sync and not freesync but i can still activate the option)
8 gb ram 2666 mhz
When i'm playing games on which i get more than 144 fps, the game looky knida ugly and not that smooth like an 144 hz monitor should do.(yes, i activated the 144 hz from the display settings)I tried to cap the fps to 144 and that makes the game more smoother on certain games,but not on all of them.I have g-sync activated, and v-sync is off(causes input lag).Is there any way of fixing this issue without having to enable v-sync?
How much RAM is being used during these periods? You can use MSI afterburner to display this in screen while gaming to monitor.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
And check cpu usage.

What games suffer?

Is that 8GB a single stick? Besides capacity being on the low side, if it's a single stick then you're missing out on dual channel performance. Dual channel can help cpu process more if cpu is struggling to keep up in some games. 16GB is preferred currently, the pagefile on hdd/ssd can be used quite a lot in some modern games with less ram. Windows tax's 2~3GB for itself, so during games, not all 8 is being used. I'd shoot for more ram.

Regarding Gsync and Freesync, yea Nvidia supports Freesync over Displayport. Also regarding Vsync input lag, that shouldn't be noticeable if frame rates are inside refresh rate and not over as Vsync is automatically disabled within Gsync/Freesync range.

badeavlad22

Prominent
Aug 22, 2018
And check cpu usage.

What games suffer?

Is that 8GB a single stick? Besides capacity being on the low side, if it's a single stick then you're missing out on dual channel performance. Dual channel can help cpu process more if cpu is struggling to keep up in some games. 16GB is preferred currently, the pagefile on hdd/ssd can be used quite a lot in some modern games with less ram. Windows tax's 2~3GB for itself, so during games, not all 8 is being used. I'd shoot for more ram.

Regarding Gsync and Freesync, yea Nvidia supports Freesync over Displayport. Also regarding Vsync input lag, that shouldn't be noticeable if frame rates are inside refresh rate and not over as Vsync is automatically disabled within Gsync/Freesync range.
So,i've tested two games with the msi afterburner:
CSGO,with two maps:-on mirage(which is one of the oldest map in the game) the cpu usage is around 50-60 % and the ram usage is about 5500 mb
-on cache(the newest updated map) the cpu usage is around 60-70% and the ram usage is about 6200 to 6500 mb.
Rocket League:eek:n which the cpu usage is pretty low at around 30%,but the gpu usage is very high at 93%(i don't know if that is normal or not,you tell me if you know) and the ram usage is at 6500mb
And yes,the 8gb is a single stick.

badeavlad22

Prominent
Aug 22, 2018
How much RAM is being used during these periods? You can use MSI afterburner to display this in screen while gaming to monitor.
On CSGO on mirage(one of the oldest maps in the game) the ram usage is about 5500mb
on cache(the newest updated map) the ram usage is at 6500mb
On Rocket League the ram usage is at 6500mb

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Gpu usage is fine. Cpu in RL seems low but i don't play it so not sure if it's just how the game utilises the cpu.

Another stick of ram would help. Trouble with buying unmatched sticks not in a kit is the possibility the new stick might not get along with the old even if same specs. If try another stick, being able to return it if had trouble would be good.

Solution

badeavlad22

Prominent
Aug 22, 2018

I will buy 8 more gb in the near future.And its okay because i will buy an identical 8 gb stick with the one i actually have.And thanks for your advice!

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Np. Keep in mind though, ram not in a kit where they've been tested together is a chance they might not work together. Materials can change over time and ram can be sensitive to minute differences. There's a high chance of success if specs remain identical albeit, there's that ever slight possibility they might not.