My 144hz Monitor won't allow me to run it in 144hz. Only allows 60hz.

exedes

Commendable
May 8, 2016
I have a 3 monitor setup. I have a 144hz Asus VG248QE 24in. and 2 60hz Asus VS247H-P 24in. I'm trying to make my 144hz monitor capable of running the 144hz but every time I switch the hz to 144 the screen flickers and goes black every 3 seconds and then comes back. The graphics card I am using is a Gigabyte GTX 960, 4GB. Both of my 60hz monitors are being plugged in via dual link DVI cables and my 144hz monitor is plugged in via DisplayPort. I have updated my NVIDIA drivers, but I don't understand the issue.

Any help would be amazing, and if you need any more information I'll be glad to get you it. I just feel as though I should be getting 144hz if I payed the extra $150 to use 144hz.

Solution

on screen display
Input Select
then select teh display port, or retry with DVI and see what happens

when you "reinstall" the nvidia drivers do you remember to uninstall the drivers first?
also best way to uninstall teh drivers is using DDU from safemode

Gnuffi

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
did you remember to enable the 144Hz setting directly on the monitor first, in teh on screen display, before setting it in windows and nvidia control panel?
did you test with dual link dvi-D to see if there might be something wrong with the display port/cable?

exedes

Commendable
May 8, 2016

I don't see any option as to where I can change/set my refresh rate on the monitor manually, but what I noticed is that Windows settings had the option to select 144hz but NVIDIA control does not, is it a possibility I might still need to update my drivers? Gonna check right now. Thank you for the quick response though, appreciate it.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
Mixing up monitors of different standards can be done but it is fraught. First make sure that your Display Port settings on the monitor are set to Display Port 1.2 as opposed to 1.1. Then uninstall your NVIDIA drivers and reinstall the latest drivers with all three monitors attached.

Gnuffi

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
If the Xbox app's GameDVR is running disable it

or
Right click on desktop -> Display Settings -> Advanced Display Settings -> Display adapter properties -> Monitor -> Screen Refresh Rate

or
in nvidia control panel under display/change resolution. scroll down to the resolutions listed for "PC" -NOT- "Ultra HD,HD,SD".
or
try and set a custom resolution + refresh rate and see if that helps

last ditch effort, unplug the 3 monitors connect only the 144hz and see if windows will accept it now
if so you might be "cloning" the monitors in the setup and you need to set them up in dual/multiple mode

exedes

Commendable
May 8, 2016

There's nothing in my monitor menu to manually change display port from 1.1 to 1.2. Checked every setting. I also reinstalled NVIDIA drivers and nothing changed.

Gnuffi

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

on screen display
Input Select
then select teh display port, or retry with DVI and see what happens

when you "reinstall" the nvidia drivers do you remember to uninstall the drivers first?
also best way to uninstall teh drivers is using DDU from safemode

Solution

exedes

Commendable
May 8, 2016

Yea I went back reading through all the messages, I took out all of my monitors except for my 144hz monitor tried the DP cord, still nothing worked. I then took out the DP cord and used my DVI-D cord and it worked perfectly fine on 144hz. I think I have a faulty cord, thank you for the help. Really appreciate it, I also realized that my windows needed a few updates as well :p

maxlangefors

Prominent
Feb 11, 2018

Aug 21, 2019
If the Xbox app's GameDVR is running disable it

or
Right click on desktop -> Display Settings -> Advanced Display Settings -> Display adapter properties -> Monitor -> Screen Refresh Rate

or
in nvidia control panel under display/change resolution. scroll down to the resolutions listed for "PC" -NOT- "Ultra HD,HD,SD".
or
try and set a custom resolution + refresh rate and see if that helps

last ditch effort, unplug the 3 monitors connect only the 144hz and see if windows will accept it now
if so you might be "cloning" the monitors in the setup and you need to set them up in dual/multiple mode
thank you very much i know this post is old but you helped fix my problem quickly appreciate it