Oct 8, 2019
i recently ordered a 1660ti from amazon and it came today and i installed it and everything . I benchmarked with heaven dx11 and i got over 120 fps on ultra with 8x anti a but then when i play destiny 2 on literaly just medium settings 1080 p i can only get 40-50 fps and i’ve watched videos of other people with same cpu and gpu and they can get way better frames and i’ve already used DDU to try take out the old drivers countless times

GPU:1660 ti
CPU:i5-3470@3.2 ghz
RAM: 8gb ddr3 1600
MOBO: intel h61
POWER: 430w

yes ik some parts are kind of outdated but it was working perfectly fine with my old gtx 960 before i installed the new gpu

Gynus

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013
I strongly think that it's a Power supply issue.
What is the brand of your power supply ? is it Bronze , silver, gold ?
Do you have another PSU to swap for testing purposes ?

Gynus

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013
What is your HDD/SSD usage while in game? 8gb of RAM is limiting and I would not be surprised if you are not seeing excessive caching to the HDD/SSD which puts extra load on the cpu.

What is your cpu usage on each core and cpu speed while in game?
Destiny 2 is not RAM hungry, I played it myself on my old setup which had 8gb of RAM without any issues with alot highier fps that he is (970gtx gpu)

Oct 8, 2019
I strongly think that it's a Power supply issue.
What is the brand of your power supply ? is it Bronze , silver, gold ?
Do you have another PSU to swap for testing purposes ?
no i do not but i could always probably get one but the rig should only be taking up 280w so that’s why i didn’t see why i should’ve upgraded it

Irisena

Commendable
Oct 1, 2019
Do note that some chinese and no name PSUs can be quite... sketchy. Sure, they put 430w as the base, but what they didn't tell you that some rail might be not up to par, or the PSU performance may plummet as it gets hotter.

So yeah, you might be running a very bad PSU that could dish probably 300w or less if the PSU heats up, or the rail for GPU is just not good. Investing in PSU in your system is never a bad idea too. so even if you go out your way to buy new PSU and it happens to not fix the issue, you still can keep the PSU and left your system better than before.

Oct 8, 2019
Do note that some chinese and no name PSUs can be quite... sketchy. Sure, they put 430w as the base, but what they didn't tell you that some rail might be not up to par, or the PSU performance may plummet as it gets hotter.

So yeah, you might be running a very bad PSU that could dish probably 300w or less if the PSU heats up, or the rail for GPU is just not good. Investing in PSU in your system is never a bad idea too. so even if you go out your way to buy new PSU and it happens to not fix the issue, you still can keep the PSU and left your system better than before.
any recommendations for psu?

Oct 8, 2019
The Seasonic Focus Gold 450w or 550w would be a great choice. You want a high quality psu in a gaming pc. However I stand by my earlier comment, I doubt the psu is the problem here.
so f it’s not the pay then what is ... i should also mention that my pic e cable did kind of had a problem and i sometimes get full system reboots out of nowhere so i could see why it might the problem but what other things do u think i should check

so f it’s not the pay then what is ... i should also mention that my pic e cable did kind of had a problem and i sometimes get full system reboots out of nowhere so i could see why it might the problem but what other things do u think i should check
Random reboots is a common psu issue symptom and something that should have been in the original post. A psu however cannot cause a gpu to throttle fps. You didn't answer my SSD/HDD usage question?

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2019
i recently ordered a 1660ti from amazon and it came today and i installed it and everything . I benchmarked with heaven dx11 and i got over 120 fps on ultra with 8x anti a but then when i play destiny 2 on literaly just medium settings 1080 p i can only get 40-50 fps and i’ve watched videos of other people with same cpu and gpu and they can get way better frames and i’ve already used DDU to try take out the old drivers countless times

GPU:1660 ti
CPU:i5-3470@3.2 ghz
RAM: 8gb ddr3 1600
MOBO: intel h61
POWER: 430w

yes ik some parts are kind of outdated but it was working perfectly fine with my old gtx 960 before i installed the new gpu
Check for the temperature in your case under the temp over 65-70° gpu will start under clocking. Also 430w is low for 1660ti it needs at least 450w PSU but that's for minimum including you have i5-3470 which takes about 75w

Last edited:
Solution

Irisena

Commendable
Oct 1, 2019
for PSU recommendation, i'd suggest you to look at PSU tier list on LTT forum. decide what's the best for you at your own budget with that. If i'm gonna pick something though, i'd pick something from tier 1 to 3

Irisena

Commendable
Oct 1, 2019
Seems like PSU's are expensive these days
yeah, i'm really reluctant to buy a good PSU at first too, instead opting to a local brand PSU that bricks in just a year. thankfully it didn't take my whole system with it. I RMA'ed it, sold that, and get myself a decent PSU afterward. currently using FSP Aurum 92+ 650w.