[SOLVED] my 1660ti is underperforming

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 8, 2019
i recently ordered a 1660ti from amazon and it came today and i installed it and everything . I benchmarked with heaven dx11 and i got over 120 fps on ultra with 8x anti a but then when i play destiny 2 on literaly just medium settings 1080 p i can only get 40-50 fps and i’ve watched videos of other people with same cpu and gpu and they can get way better frames and i’ve already used DDU to try take out the old drivers countless times

GPU:1660 ti
CPU:i5-3470@3.2 ghz
RAM: 8gb ddr3 1600
MOBO: intel h61
POWER: 430w

yes ik some parts are kind of outdated but it was working perfectly fine with my old gtx 960 before i installed the new gpu

Oct 8, 2019
Oct 8, 2019
Random reboots is a common psu issue symptom and something that should have been in the original post. A psu however cannot cause a gpu to throttle fps.

Random reboots is a common psu issue symptom and something that should have been in the original post. A psu however cannot cause a gpu to throttle fps. You didn't answer my SSD/HDD usage question?
what do you mean usage? i dont have an ssd but i have a 1tb hard drive with like 700 gb left

Dec 5, 2019
A psu however cannot cause a gpu to throttle fps.

Pretty sure you're wrong about that brah

Additional backup since I'm sure you'll tell me I'm wrong:

Pretty sure you're wrong about that brah

Additional backup since I'm sure you'll tell me I'm wrong:
That is not backup, that is speculation with no evidence to support it. A gpu expects 12v within certain tolerances and demands that up to maximum current/wattage. It has no way of knowing if a psu will be able to deliver higher current and maintain 12v. A psu is dumb and has no communication with other parts, it supplies stable voltages. Everything I have seen through experience and what I have read from trustworthy sources is if the psu goes to far out of tolerance then that is when stability issues occur, but not throttling, how would the gpu know to throttle. I have never seen a trustworthy review/article show otherwise. As far as I can tell is this is just another internet myth. Find me a trustworthy review where they benchmark the same gpu on different psu’s and get different performance and I will happily change my mind.

TRENDING THREADS