[SOLVED] my 1700x CPU is running at 3.60 OC, however retailed at 3.8 base speeds

jaydutt247

Commendable
Sep 8, 2018
i have allready made a post about my CPU, and can never be able to find a fix. I my pc runs slowley; by that i just mean that it doesnt run to its full potential. im running a 1700x with a b350 arctic motherboard, im not sure if this could be the problem and if i should upgrade to an x370 by msi.
cb077d51933d2bfab84f6b5616177bbf

https://gyazo.com/1d87c6ab0e633a689aaed83d5607756c https://i.gyazo.com/6eb1a4fa33ea12a0b765d284a9e79291.png

Pc Specs
-Gtx 1080 Rog Strix 8gb
-AMD Ryzen 7 1700x
-Samsung Evo 850gb SSD Drive
-Corsair (2x4) 3200Mhz Ram sticks
-NZXT S340 Case White
-B350 Tomahawk Arctic Motherbord
-Corsair 550 Watt Power Supply
-1Tb Western Drive
and windows 10 64 bit

if you could suggest any other problems or want anything just responmd back what you need to ask

Kind regards, jayden

Solution

As others have mentioned, if you are not overclocking then the CPU will only 'boost' to 3.8 on one or 2 cores as needed and briefly. You probably won't see that in Task Manager unless you set it to look at all 16 virtual CPU's and then only if watching at the time it boosts.

It will only do that if the CPU multiplier setting is on 'AUTO' and the V Core (core voltage) setting is also on 'AUTO'. You should also check that Cool-n-Quiet is set to 'AUTO' or 'ENABLED'.

If you're unsure of how to do all that just do a CMOS reset to return everything to default settings.

But that CPU, on that...

jaydutt247

Commendable
Sep 8, 2018

why doesnt my pc run at the speed it should? thats the only reason i could think of and is there anyway to boost my cpu speed?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
What program(s) were you running when you took that screen shot of task manager where it shows 3.5 GHz? As I said, if it's something that most/all of the cores then it is running at the speed it should. You could try running Cinebench with only 1 thread and see if it boosts to 3.8 GHz.

jaydutt247

Commendable
Sep 8, 2018

just gyzo

jaydutt247

Commendable
Sep 8, 2018

i already have overclocked, i just want to know how to get it bac up to 3.8

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
If you've manually set the clocks to a certain frequency through overclocking, it probably won't boost automatically anymore. If you want it to get to 3.8 GHz either reset your overclock (in which case the CPU will automatically turbo to 3.8 GHz under lightly threaded loads) or overclock to 3.8 GHz.

As others have mentioned, if you are not overclocking then the CPU will only 'boost' to 3.8 on one or 2 cores as needed and briefly. You probably won't see that in Task Manager unless you set it to look at all 16 virtual CPU's and then only if watching at the time it boosts.

It will only do that if the CPU multiplier setting is on 'AUTO' and the V Core (core voltage) setting is also on 'AUTO'. You should also check that Cool-n-Quiet is set to 'AUTO' or 'ENABLED'.

If you're unsure of how to do all that just do a CMOS reset to return everything to default settings.

But that CPU, on that motherboard, should easily be capable of an all-core overclock to 3.8Ghz if you wanted it to. Set the multiplier to 38 and start with VCore at 1.375. Also set LLC level to '1' or '2'. If it passes a simple stress test then lower VCore a setting and try again; of course if it fails the stress then raise and try again.

I wouldn't try to OC any higher than 3.8 if just using the stock cooler.

Solution