My 1800x won't take an overclock

bmanlloyd

Honorable
May 9, 2014
About 3 months ago I upgraded to an 1800x, and promptly overclocked it to 3.95Ghz. Two weeks later, my water cooler failed, and during the panic of figuring out what was causing the temps to go crazy, I reset cmos, so I no longer have (nor remember) what the exact settings I used to get it to 3.95Ghz. Once my new water cooler arrived I just left it running at stock. Fast forward to now, I decided to overclock it again. I ran cinebench to get my control test, and noticed it was about 300 points lower than my original test when I first built the pc (1560 compared to 1200 now). I tried a very small bump to about 3.65Ghz and crashed the second I started cinebench. Once I reset to default and tested it stock again I noticed in cpu-z that the core clock was dropping all the way down to 1.2Ghz, then raising back to 3.6Ghz once the test was over. I know it's not thermal throttling, it never gets above 70°. I'm not sure if the cpu is damaged or if asus' new bios is broken, but I'm clueless.

Basic specs:
1800x
H100i v2
Asus Strix x370f
Evga gtx 1070
16 gb gskill ripjaws ddr4
Evga 750 watt psu

bmanlloyd

Honorable
May 9, 2014

Just basic stuff really, kept bumping up the Mhz until it was stable, then bumping down the voltage until that was also stable. Also, TPU resulted in an instant black screen crash. What really confuses me is if I manually set it to 3.65Ghz, it'll crash, but if I reset it back to default, it runs at 3.7ghz, albeit it throttles itself down to 2.5Ghz in cinebench 15 or cpu-z's benchmark. I have windows power settings set to high, in the bios I turned off any power saving setting I could find.

Start by setting TPU to 1 or 2, than you can fiddle with details. After fiddling lot that's how I OC my 1700x,

TPU II
Multiplier manually na 40.0
Voltage manually on 1.4v.
Llc 5Power 130%

Stable as a rock. YMMV of course because of "silicone lottery"

bmanlloyd

Honorable
May 9, 2014

Nope, none of those settings worked. I'm honestly confused if its my mobo or cpu being the problem. When I first bought it it did 4Ghz no problem, but once my cooler died I left it at stock once the new one arrived. Doing anything to change the core voltage or multiplier will result in crashes, no matter what, even bumping it to like 3.65Ghz @ 1.4v results in a crash. I don't know if me telling you how it crashes would help, but its like instant loss of power and it shuts off, no freezing, just shuts off immediately.

bmanlloyd

Honorable
May 9, 2014
Welp, I fixed it, but it wasn't what I thought it would be. When corsair sent me my replacement H100i v2, they sent me one with pegs that were stripped, and the cooler loosened and wasn't making contact with the cpu, causing it to shut off. Luckily I had a few extra pegs from a friend who didn't need them, and now she overclocks to 4.1Ghz stable at 1.4v. Thanks for the help though!