My 1st Build, Budget is 2,000+ For Just the Computer, Help!!

Jon-Jon

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
My NewEgg.com Saved Wishlist

So this is my very very first build. I don't stay in tuned with the greatest hardware nor issues or compatibility. I would like to know if my components I selected will work well together. I want the computer to be fast without any bottlenecks or anything. I am open to suggestion, questions and comments from anyone.

My computer will be used for graphic design, web development, and business software, lots of multi-tasking with several resources eating applications open at the same time. I also play a few games on my computer, flying simulations (falcon 4.0) and battlefield 2 at the moment. I like to have everything maxed out, but not required.

I think I selected my components carefully but I would love to have some hardware guru's look it over and give suggestions. I think that will help me out a lot.

Thank you.
John
www.opelgraphics.com

Vascular

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
First get a 2Gb pack of ram, you motherboard is going to default to 3-3-3-8 any way unless you change it manually.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145575

I am being lazy right now but the raptor 150Gb is faster than raid 2x 74Gb hard drives.

Your motherboard already has audigy built in
Creative sound Blaster Audigy SE H/W audio 7.1 CH Surround Sound

Here is what nvidia says about the 7900 series

Windows Vista
NVIDIA offers a complete top-to-bottom line up of NVIDIA® GeForce® graphics processing units (GPUs) that will take full advantage of the new Windows Vista™ features and functionality when the final OS is released.
http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce_7900.html

Ian

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2004
First thing, do not get what you have put together there on newegg. You can knock off a quick $200 by getting a eVGA 7900GT for around $300. Performance won't be that big of a drop, and for $200 savings it is definately worth it. Secondly get a X2 4200 or 4400, the premium you pay by getting the 4800 makes it not worth it.

Ram good, maybe go for a storage drive as well, like a 300 gig seagate sata2.

Another money saver would be to get an Antec Sonata II, come with a really nice 450 or 480W power supply which would be plenty for you. Most people say don't get a case that comes with a power supply, but this is an exception, high quality antec psu. The sonata II is only like $100, so that saves you another $145.

That motherboard also has a really nice built in sound chip:
Audio

• Creative sound Blaster Audigy SE H/W audio
- 24-bit / 96KHz audio quality
- 100db SNR clarity
- Up to 7.1 CH Surround Sound, Dolby Digital ready

So personally I wouldnt with the extra PCi card, but I guess thats up to you.

Jon-Jon

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
So what big performance would i get out of the GTX that the GT would not give me? By looking at the numbers alone it seems to give twice the power. But thats all i have to go with, let me know...

Thanks for the reviews guys! Keep them coming! :)

Vascular

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
One more thing get some round cables for your dvd drive.
The power supply looks like it has all the correct connectors for that motherboard.
Get the GTX it has twice the ram/ higher clock speed / and a cooler that actually works.

Vascular

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
Damn I should look more nvm about the cables that motherboard already comes with. :oops:
I was thinking of the ide round cables.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006

So this is my very very first build. I don't stay in tuned with the greatest hardware nor issues or compatibility. I would like to know if my components I selected will work well together. I want the computer to be fast without any bottlenecks or anything. I am open to suggestion, questions and comments from anyone.

My computer will be used for graphic design, web development, and business software, lots of multi-tasking with several resources eating applications open at the same time. I also play a few games on my computer, flying simulations (falcon 4.0) and battlefield 2 at the moment. I like to have everything maxed out, but not required.

I think I selected my components carefully but I would love to have some hardware guru's look it over and give suggestions. I think that will help me out a lot.

Thank you.
John
www.opelgraphics.com

A few thoughts:

Overall, really nice system! You will really enjoy it. However I would make a few changes:

1) Save some money and get an Opteron 170 instead of the 4600+. The Opteron 170 can easily overclock to FX-60 levels (beyond 4600+) and runs cooler.

2) Do not bother with Windows XP X64. If you want to go 64-bit wait for Vista. Current versions of 64-bit Windows are a pain in the neck to install and the only benefit really offered is being able to address 4GB + of RAM. If you are not using 4GB, do not subject yourself to the headaches. Stick with XP Pro and wait for Vista for your 64bit desires.

kais

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
i say you should instead get the new dfi board with the xpress 3200 chipset and a x1900xt it would perform much better than the system you have. second dont get the manchester core. if you are get the x2 3800. if you want a better cpu look for the opteron 165 or 170 and you dont want more than 2 gigs of ram in there. i would recomend crucial or ocz. just go with this youll be very happy with it. the reason i say dont get the msi board is because the overclocking on it isnt very good. the dfi will overclock the hell out of it . the manchester series are good, but no one spends that much on a manchester.

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
What I think:

4GB is somewhat useless now, because XP can only use 2.75GB. Vista will be able to use loads more, rumours of 6GB? Totally scratch the 4600+ and go with the Operton 170 and get the TuniqTower120 and overclock the he!! outta that chip and blow everything out of the water. Agree with shadowduck, go with a DFI board, not nessecarily the 3200 version, and get the x1900xt(x?). Also agreeing with someone, go with the 150GB than the 2X74. More space, lol, and faster, and cheaper. I assume the Blitzstorm is to cool the GPU?

~Ibrahim~

P.S. basically, I've agreed with everybody with a few of my own suggestions

moparman390

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
I have some real good advice for you here. I have much the same setup, here's what you need to know. I have the same motherboard, it's great, stick with that.

First, get only 2GB of RAM (2x1GB). 4GB of RAM in a 4x1GB on any motherboard will run slower then 2x1GB overall. On this motherboard, it will only run at 333MHz, by built in limitation, this is not a bad thing as the ideal memory config for DDR1 is 2x1GB. By the time 4GB is needed you will have changed motherboards and upgraded to DDR2.

Second, get the 4400+ instead of the 4600+. The 4400+ has more Cache memory. You can always overclock, you can't add more cache.

I have a 74GB Raptor too, you will like. The 7900GTX is really nice, for what you intend to do, go with that. Flight Sims take lots more graphics power to run good then first person shooters.

dark-angel

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Second, get the 4400+ instead of the 4600+. The 4400+ has more Cache memory. You can always overclock, you can't add more cache.

Hey Thanks! I was on the fence about an Opty 170 vs 4400 (identical caches but 4400 has double HT bandwidth)...wondering if this makes any real world differences if I just stay stock and don't overclock.

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Yeah, that is a bit of tough call. 4400+ has double HTT bandwidth, while the Opty's overclock very nicely...First, I have a question. I think that it would be impossible to double the HTT on the Opty, right? How much performance loss is that? Will it be able to outweigh the higher clock speed?

lol, yeah, the 64-bit Windows is an exception and Windows Server, I believe as well. But nowadays, who uses 64-bit XP? All in all, I haven't seen anything truly great about it. Mostly just stuff about how this and that won't work with it. Bah, forget it.

~Ibrahim~

Vascular

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
I havent found any where that the X2's have double the HTT. You are confused somehow. Both the X2 and Opteron 1xx series are able to operate at 1000MHz Hyper Transport (2000 MT/s).

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
I havent found any where that the X2's have double the HTT. You are confused somehow. Both the X2 and Opteron 1xx series are able to operate at 1000MHz Hyper Transport (2000 MT/s).

AMD's site has the Hypertransport speed for the Opterons at 1000MHz and the X2s at 2000MHz.

Vascular

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006

AMD's site has the Hypertransport speed for the Opterons at 1000MHz and the X2s at 2000MHz.

You guys need to seriously stop looking at neweggs web site and compairing. Hyper transport opterates at 1000Mhz so when it is 1000Mhz in both directions you get 2000Mhz or 2000 MT/s. It's more marketing than anything. Conclusion both X2 and Opteron 1xx series operate with the same Hyper Transport speed.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006

You guys need to seriously stop looking at neweggs web site and compairing. Hyper transport opterates at 1000Mhz so when it is 1000Mhz in both directions you get 2000Mhz or 2000 MT/s. It's more marketing than anything. Conclusion both X2 and Opteron 1xx series operate with the same Hyper Transport speed.

That was not newegg, that came DIRECTLY from AMD.com on processor specs. I never trust newegg stats to be completely accurate.

So the question is why AMD post different numbers if they mean the same thing (which I figuerd they were the same)? Is it to make the X2s look better?

DDay629

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
Ok, here is my suggestions:

CPU: Get a Opteron 175, OC'd to 2.6 GHz for a better price, and a better product. Or get a 180 if you don't want to OC at all and want to pay more.

Motherboard: Get a DFI Lanparty-UT Ultra-D. Its the best. Period.

Graphics Card: Good choice, it is the best.

PSU: Nice choice, though personally I would go with a Antec.

Case: Get an Antec P180. Great case.

HDD: Nice choice, though you don't need 2 of them. I would get one 74 10k, and one 250GB Caviar, for what I believe is less.

Disk Drive: Good drive, same as I'm getting.

Card Reader: If your going to get one of these, get one that has a fan controller and a case temperatures built in.

RAM: I like crucial, but I like Corsair more. Check out this RAM and drool at the price.

Fans: I like the slot fan idea, seems to work well to the people who reviewed. I also definetly like the 120 mm fans you have selected. I would also get a zalman cooler for your CPU.

Windows: Good, you got Pro.

Keyboard and Mouse: Get the G15 Gaming Keyboard and the G5 Gaming Mouse Respectivly.

Also, shop around. Newegg hardly ever has the lowest prices when you include shipping.

DDay