My 1st PC Build, need some advice and comments (Gaming PC)

Druantia

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2015
Hello,

This is the build I've planned:

CPU - Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150
Memory - Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card - MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V
Case - Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply - Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive - Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer

And My questions are:

1. Will this all work together? Or better yet is this a good build together?
2. Regarding the CPU cooler, I know the CPU comes with an cooler of it's own, do I really need it then? (I do not intend on overclocking at least for now)
3. Just to be sure :) do I have all the parts needed?
4. What about extra cooling for the case, what you recommend?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers

Solution
Yeah. That's a pretty good build. Those parts will work together. I recommend for future builds, choosing your parts on PC Part Picker.com. It will make you aware of any incompatibilities (be it something that doesn't fit, or something extremely technical).

If you don't intend on overclocking, you don't really need that aftermarket Hyper 212 EVO, but since it's not too expensive, it is nice to have some extra cooling. But no, you don't need it.

I don't see an Operating System, but other than that, you're good.

Since you won't be doing any overclocking, you don't need extra cooling. Just the fans that come in the case, the CPU HSF, and the GPU fan. If you really want to get things cool, then you could water cool your PC, but since...

Shrubbyslinky

Reputable
Jul 17, 2015
Yeah. That's a pretty good build. Those parts will work together. I recommend for future builds, choosing your parts on PC Part Picker.com. It will make you aware of any incompatibilities (be it something that doesn't fit, or something extremely technical).

If you don't intend on overclocking, you don't really need that aftermarket Hyper 212 EVO, but since it's not too expensive, it is nice to have some extra cooling. But no, you don't need it.

I don't see an Operating System, but other than that, you're good.

Since you won't be doing any overclocking, you don't need extra cooling. Just the fans that come in the case, the CPU HSF, and the GPU fan. If you really want to get things cool, then you could water cool your PC, but since there will be no overclocking, then you don't really need any more than you already have.

PCPartPicker.com: https://pcpartpicker.com/

Solution

Druantia

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2015

Thanks a lo for the reply. I've been checking lots of site and Tom Hardware's forum was a great build to get this build together.
Sorry for the newbie question, but when you say extra cooling, you mean that the Hyper EVO is used instead of the one that comes with the CPU, right? (as it is more powerful)? Not extra as it is used together?

As for the OS, I'm thinking of getting windows 10, maybe pro edition, not sure..

In my present computer I have windows 7 with now the possibility to upgrade for free, but with the new build I guess I have to get it separately.

By the way, that's a cool site, I put all my parts there. :)

correct: the Hyper 212 would replace the stock cooler, but that is unnecessary if you aren't overclocking

SamiSC

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2010
change the power supply to something more reliable like seasonic, xfx, antec, evga.

The rest of the build looks very solid, you did a great job picking parts, just need a power supply to go with it.

also new skylake cpus and z170 motherboards will be out within a week or two, so best wait for that before you make a build.