My 1st pc gaming build - RATE ME :)

RealBushman

Reputable
Mar 25, 2015
Hi all,

Thank you for taking the time to rate this build. Its my 1st one ever so please be gentle.

CPU: - Intel Core i7 8700 BOX (1151)
GPU: - GIGABYTE GeForce GTX1060 6GB GDDR5 WindForce OC
MB: - MSI 1151 B360 Gaming Plus
RAM: - Corsair DDR4 2666 16GB Vengeance LED CL16 KIT (2x8GB) Red
SSD: - Samsung 860 Evo 1TB [2.5 "/ SATA3]
HDD:- Toshiba DT01ACA050 ATA 500Gb
CPU Cooler: - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
PSU: - Corsair CX450 450W [80+ Bronze]

My next issue is a new monitor, below is a link for the monitors I am currently looking at. Any suggestions. Trying to keep it under 150$.

https://www.arukereso.hu/monitor-c3126/?sgst=1

Solution
That PSU makes it an instant fail. The PSU is a very important part and a very bad place to skimp. A bad PSU can ruin the whole system.

So replace the PSU with a better one, get ddr4 2666 and you are also going to want a better CPU cooler as the one that comes with the 8700 has been shown to be inadequate for that cpu.

bignastyid

Titan
That PSU makes it an instant fail. The PSU is a very important part and a very bad place to skimp. A bad PSU can ruin the whole system.

So replace the PSU with a better one, get ddr4 2666 and you are also going to want a better CPU cooler as the one that comes with the 8700 has been shown to be inadequate for that cpu.

Solution

RealBushman

Reputable
Mar 25, 2015

Could you please recommend a PSU that wont cost and arm and a leg?

RealBushman

Reputable
Mar 25, 2015

Hungary Budapest

RealBushman

Reputable
Mar 25, 2015

i also ordered this as my cooler not sure if you saw it above. - *Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO*

MasterMadBones

Distinguished
You're a good Bushman - I rate you 8/10.

The build though, is a little unbalanced. Unless you intend to do streaming, you should be fine with an i5-8400 or i5-8600. Even i3 CPUs will do a great job in most games, but they may suffer from a slightly larger slowdown if you have a ot of things running in the background.

Why do you have a large SSD paired with a small HDD? Did you get the HDD from an older system?

The PSU is unknown to me and falls under the "avoid this brand" category for most users here. Take a look at the Seasonic FOCUS 550 Gold, it's semi-modular so you won't have any unnecessary cables hanging around. Otherwise, it's hard to find efficient and reliable PSUs under 600W but this isn't the only option of course. If you want to look for other options, it's a good idea to look for a PSU of at least 500W because they're most efficient at 50-55% load.

If you have already bought, You can build as is.
But, if you are asking for advice it is best to do so BEFORE you buy.

Regardless, a cheap PSU is very bad.
A cheap PSU will be made of substandard components. It will not have safety and overload protections.
If it fails under load, it can destroy anything it is connected to.
It will deliver advertised power only at room temperatures, not at higher temperatures found when installed in a case.
The wattage will be delivered on the 3 and 5v rails, not on the 12v rails where modern parts
like the CPU and Graphics cards need it. What power is delivered may fluctuate and cause instability
issues that are hard to diagnose.
The fan will need to spin up higher to cool it, making it noisy.
A cheap PSU can become very expensive. Do not buy one.

On the processor, 8700 is ok.
I think I would buy a cheaper i5-9600K even if your motherboard does not support overclocking.

Since you have a discrete graphics card, I think 2400 speed ram is fine. But, faster 2600 speed usually cost no more.
I do not know about Akyga, it certainly is not a mainstream unit.
Past that, 450w largely precludes upgrading your graphics card in the future.
I would buy a quality unit like a Seasonic focus 550/650w psu.

With a 1tb ssd, why not defer on the hard drive until you actually need the storage space?
If you do want a hard drive, I think WD or hitachi is likely to be more reliable.
And, since your motherboard is optane capable, consider spending $40 for a 32gb optane cache device for the HDD.

Lastly, there are better coolers than the hyper 212.
What is your case?
It needs 160mm available for the hyper 212.
I had the stressful experience this Christmas trying to help with installing one on a new build.
I am an experienced builder, but the installation process was very confusing.
The instructions are cryptic.
As a cooler, it worked ok, but it is not nearly as good as a $35 scythe kotetsu.
Here is a review:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1391-page1.html
For the easiest to mount coolers, noctua is hard to beat.

RealBushman

Reputable
Mar 25, 2015

The HDD came from my old PC, stillworks good but I wanted a larger drive so I went with a larger ssd instead. I am always running out of space with all my pics videos and games especially being large.