Question My 1st PC

udo_gom

Reputable
Jun 8, 2019
Hello everyone,

my laptop is dying and I'd like to build a PC which will be used for gaming mostly + movies. I put together a build that is within my budget, but would like somebody who is more tech savvy to take a look if everything fits/I can get more for less $.

PC part picker informs of of potential issues/incompatibilities, and it says: "Some Intel Z370 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Coffee Lake Refresh CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions." Quick research tells me it shouldn't be a problem as of this year, can i expect this to be true?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9CG4xG

As far as whether the BIOs supports coffee Lake CPUs goes, You can't know (until you have the MB in hand) if it has been updated to support the new CPUs. It depends on how long the motherboard has been in dealer stock.

As for your parts list, I would not recommend the VS series of PSU. That series is not really meant for gaming PCs. Stick with a Seasonic focus series or the newer (grey label, not green!) CX or CXM from Corsair.

Last edited:

udo_gom

Reputable
Jun 8, 2019
As far as whether the BIOs supports coffee Lake CPUs goes, You can't know (until you have the MB in hand) if it has been updated to support the new CPUs. It depends on how long the motherboard has been in dealer stock.

As for your parts list, I would not recommend the VS series of PSU. That series is not really meant for gaming PCs. Stick with a Seasonic focus series or the newer (grey label, not green!) CX or CXM from Corsair.

What about Frotron Hyper K, Zalman ZM500-TX or 500W Fortron Hyper?

Bad PSU and not a very good CPU/MB combo, your also missing the case.

What is your actual budget since your missing the price on the HDD and there's no case?

Also do you care to overclock?

My budget is max 1100$, which are (sadly) prices of said components in Croatia all added up.
CPU 215$
MB 120$
Memory 110$
HDD 55$
SSD 40$
GPU 315$
PSU roughly 60$
Monitor 215$

Importing isn't really an option because of HUGE import tax, which would (summed up) cost even more than I'd save if buying abroad.

Case is the only thing I already have, and its Oberon Pro Silent.

And no, I have no intentions of overclocking.

All the components have to be bought from the same online store, but I'm not sure is rules allow me to post which one. Also their site is is Croatian only, and with our currency so don't know if posting it would be halpful at all.

udo_gom

Reputable
Jun 8, 2019

Thank you very VERY much!!!

Unfortunatelly, currently I have only laptop, therefore no monitor. Does it have to be 144Hz? I wouldn't mind a cheaper/lower tier one if GPU isnt good enough to put up with it...

Also, I read some bad review for Inno GPUs, most people recommended Asus or MSI. what are your thoughts on that?

WildCard999

Titan
Thank you very VERY much!!!

Unfortunatelly, currently I have only laptop, therefore no monitor. Does it have to be 144Hz? I wouldn't mind a cheaper/lower tier one if GPU isnt good enough to put up with it...

Also, I read some bad review for Inno GPUs, most people recommended Asus or MSI. what are your thoughts on that?
Nope, I'm very happy with 75hz but it depends on the games you play. For less competitive, single player or MMO's then 60-75hz is plenty but for competitive FPS or racing games then 144hz is preferred but not required (I do well in FPS with a 75hz 21:9 monitor). The only thing I'd really push for is Freesync and going VA or IPS over a TN panel.

As for the GPU I've never used them however I haven't heard anything really bad about them. If you prefer MSI or Asus then there should be enough left in the budget to make that change.

TRENDING THREADS