[SOLVED] My 2060 super isnt allowing 4 monitors. (Please help)

May 2, 2022
So I have all the proper ports, I have 2 HDMI to DP cables for 2 monitors, one HDMI cable directly, and one DP directly. It picks up the last monitor, but it says "Disconnect this display", and when I click the "Extend desktop to this display" button, it instantly goes back to "Disconnect this display".

Id really like to use all my monitors, Its annoying having a monitor just not usable. Thanks.

Solution
There is no total max resolution, there is only max resolution per output.

For independent displays, that's correct. I forget the default behaviour, but if everything defaults to extended desktop (opposed to mirrored displays), then the totality of the resolution output cannot exceed 8K (7680x4320)... about 33m pixels, to the best of my knowledge.

Looking at the math though, OP is only trying to push around 14m pixels combined... so that's not it anyway.

Also, number of outputs are not equal of number of max supported displays.

Not always, but especially on more recent hardware - it certainly can.

Most probably you have a GPU that supports up to 3 displays.

In this instance, the max supported...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Which model? It's possible (and likely) that if there's >4 ports, there's a max usable number of ports (or combinations of) that can be used at once.

Your monitors will have a default resolution, which you'd need to factor in to 'total' output resolution. If you set 5120x1440 to the lowest supported resolution, you should be able to boot the others at their native.
If you have 3/4/2 at native, there's not enough left over for #1.

EDIT. Terrible math.

Last edited:

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
There is no total max resolution, there is only max resolution per output.

For independent displays, that's correct. I forget the default behaviour, but if everything defaults to extended desktop (opposed to mirrored displays), then the totality of the resolution output cannot exceed 8K (7680x4320)... about 33m pixels, to the best of my knowledge.

Looking at the math though, OP is only trying to push around 14m pixels combined... so that's not it anyway.

Also, number of outputs are not equal of number of max supported displays.

Most probably you have a GPU that supports up to 3 displays.

In this instance, the max supported displays from a 2060 Super is 4 (reference design anyway)
2060.png

Seems unlikely an AIB partner would restrict below that, but it's possible.

If there is >4 ports outputs available though, there will likely be something like 2x HDMI and 2xDP can be used together, or 3+1, 1+3 etc.

If there's only 4, it should just work. AIB partner must have restricted,.... which would be a strange move.

Solution
May 2, 2022

In this instance, the max supported displays from a 2060 Super is 4 (reference design anyway)
2060.png

Seems unlikely an AIB partner would restrict below that, but it's possible.

If there is >4 ports outputs available though, there will likely be something like 2x HDMI and 2xDP can be used together, or 3+1, 1+3 etc.

If there's only 4, it should just work. AIB partner must have restricted,.... which would be a strange move.
Ok so, I have a followup. The issue was apparently the ORDER that I plugged them in. According to the order I will provide below, I had to plug them in at 1324, to get them to eventually work.

Main Monitor (ultrawide): 1
Top Monitor (ultrawide): 2
2 Top Side Monitors: 3/4

I now have a new problem. The main monitor is 240hz, but with this configuration, its only allowing me 120hz. Any ideas?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Ok so, I have a followup. The issue was apparently the ORDER that I plugged them in. According to the order I will provide below, I had to plug them in at 1324, to get them to eventually work.

Main Monitor (ultrawide): 1
Top Monitor (ultrawide): 2
2 Top Side Monitors: 3/4

I now have a new problem. The main monitor is 240hz, but with this configuration, its only allowing me 120hz. Any ideas?

I'm assuming you've got a G9 then, based on the resolution and refresh rate? Or something very similar to?

When it's the sole display connected, you can achieve 240Hz? You haven't switched connections inadvertently?

May 2, 2022
I'm assuming you've got a G9 then, based on the resolution and refresh rate? Or something very similar to?

When it's the sole display connected, you can achieve 240Hz? You haven't switched connections inadvertently?
Yes I have a g9. Im able to use 3 of the 4 monitors with it and theres no problems, smooth 240hz. But when I add the 4th, it forces me to be at 120hz, any ideas?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Dp/hdmi bandwidth limits. It's not per port, it's total. You only have 1 DP output, that's split into X amount of ports, you only have 1 hdmi output, split similarly. For example, dvi single link can do 2560x1600 at 30Hz or 1920x1200 at 60Hz. If using just 1 of the ports you'd get the full 240Hz, but using both of the ports you'll only get 120Hz.

The downside of using an older, smaller gpu that doesn't have the DP or HDMI standards or resolutions of its newer, larger brothers. 4 monitors, fine. 4 monitors and one at 240Hz, thats asking a lot from a 2060.

Oh, and connection order matters. It's a handshake issue. Generally you need to plug in hdmi first, then dp when mixing inputs, if dp is already plugged in there's no hdmi handshake, so no monitor recognition. Not sure if that's a monitor thing or a gpu thing, but that's how it works at my house with wife's hdmi laptop and my dp gpu pc sharing a monitor. If I unplug her cable at the monitor, I have to unplug my dp to get her cable recognised, then I can plug the dp back in and switch inputs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Barty1884