[SOLVED] My 2080 xc ultra can overclock +215mhz in msi afterburner. Is this normal for this card?

brofran

Prominent
Sep 8, 2019
When I see benchmarks of the EVGA 2080 XC ULTRA, their overclocks only go about 100-150 mhz above stock, and their memory clocks go to +750 usually. My card can hit 2070 mhz on a 215mhz overclock with a +1000 memory overclock. After 215, it crashes. Is 2070 the limit? Can I go lower than 215 and still hit 2070? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Solution
Going lower on your core clock will increase the available OC limits of the RAM on most boards and vice versa. GPUs have a lot of meat between the RAM and GPU and usually there's only two power regulators (one for RAM, one for Core, and everything connected to them as they are all running the same voltage by default), so at a certain point you're overvolting other components into instability.

brofran

Prominent
Sep 8, 2019
3dmark time spy, played games with msi afterburner overlay showing mhz. It stays at 2070 for most games except for less graphics intensive games like mw2 where it fluctuates between 1ghz to 2ghz

genz

Distinguished
Going lower on your core clock will increase the available OC limits of the RAM on most boards and vice versa. GPUs have a lot of meat between the RAM and GPU and usually there's only two power regulators (one for RAM, one for Core, and everything connected to them as they are all running the same voltage by default), so at a certain point you're overvolting other components into instability.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS