Question My 240hz Alienware 25 AW2518H shows as 60hz on my computer.

May 5, 2019
Hello,

I have an Alienware AW2518H monitor and a 144 hz RazerBlade 15 laptop GeForce GTX 1070 Max Q, 8th Gen Intel Core i7 8750 CPU 6 Core.
Unfortunately, my laptop DOES NOT have a DisplayPort. Whereas this monitor obviously works best with a DisplayPort to DisplayPort (provided with the monitor). I have tried DisplayPort to HDMI which was wrong, but now don't know how to proceed.

I still get over 200fps in game (by sacrificing Gsync..) but it seems to block it on certain titles.
My problem is with the laptop's settings and the Nvidia control panel. Both show my display as a 60hz with no way to select anything else.

Anyone had the same issue or able to help me?

Thank you!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
What cable are you using?

You can only get above 120Hz using DisplayPort or DVI Dual Link.
Equally some games are ultimately capped at 60 FPS so it depends on what games it refers to.

Have you selected a resolution in NVIDIA Control Panel under "PC" rather than "HD", the HD is limited to 60 Hz also.

Last edited:
May 5, 2019
For now I am using a regular HDMI as I have no other choice.
The monitor doesnt have a DVI Dual Link port only DisplayPort.
Is there not a single adapter or else to transfer to the HDMI on my laptop port?

I get games like CS GO above 220fps and Apex, PUBG, Paladins around 140-160fps but others like The Division 2 struggle past 60.
The Nvidia Control Panel only has 1024x768 and 800x600 resolutions under PC but anyway both are at 60hz.

I still get good fps but I don't understand the CPU display and Nvidia Control Panel 60hz thing..

An adapter won't do you much good, the limitation is the port on the laptop. You can't make it run faster with an external adapter. If you have a hose going to a bucket, and you add a larger bucket to the hose, it won't make the water come out any faster. Your limitation is the port output. You can check the external video connection specs with the laptop vendor support.

An adapter won't do you much good, the limitation is the port on the laptop. You can't make it run faster with an external adapter. If you have a hose going to a bucket, and you add a larger bucket to the hose, it won't make the water come out any faster. Your limitation is the port output. You can check the external video connection specs with the laptop vendor support.
Actually in this case the limitation is the monitor; G-Sync module monitors are hard-limited to 60 Hz over HDMI at all resolutions.

The HDMI output of a GTX 1070 or modern Intel integrated graphics should support at least 300 Mpx/s which will work up to 1080p 120 Hz if the OP uses an appropriate adapter (as described in the guide linked above). But 240 Hz is not going to happen as there are no adapters available which can do that.

TRENDING THREADS