Question My 240hz monitor is rotating between blurry and clear with each refresh.

Nov 6, 2021
I got a 240hz monitor (Acer) for gaming and it ran great when I first had it. It's been a year and since then I've noticed that it developed a blur to its text. That persisted for awhile, annoying but not intolerable, until now it is rotating between blurry and clear with each refresh. I tested this by switching refresh rates of 60, 75, 144, and 240 and the rate of refresh increases accordingly. What is also strange is that the top right of my monitor is most affected by the blur, where that quadrant is very noticeable, but the bottom left and most of the left hand side is clear consistently.

I've tinkered with Win10 settings and google'd/ytubed almost every win10 issue I could find, but nothing matches my particular problem. Can anyone give insight or help?

Nov 4, 2021
Check the cable and monitor/GPU ports for any damage or loose seating. Do you have access to another monitor and cable to test with?

If you do, does using it cause the same issue?

Nov 6, 2021
Check the cable and monitor/GPU ports for any damage or loose seating. Do you have access to another monitor and cable to test with?

If you do, does using it cause the same issue?

I use two monitors regularly, the old one is an Asus I got over a decade ago that still runs strong. 1980 60hz. I'm using display port cables for the 240 and hdmi for the 60, and one of the first things I tried was testing the cables. There was no change aside from the refresh rate limitations of using hdmi, which made the blurriness rotate at a slower rate compared to running at 240. The Asus wasn't affected at all.

Nov 4, 2021
I think it might be a hardware malfunction within the monitor.

Try resetting the monitors onboard menu to default settings. Then try reinstalling the monitors drivers. Also try testing the monitor on another PC and see if the same issue persist.

Nov 6, 2021
I think it might be a hardware malfunction within the monitor.

Try resetting the monitors onboard menu to default settings. Then try reinstalling the monitors drivers. Also try testing the monitor on another PC and see if the same issue persist.
Reset the menu settings: did not work. Downloaded the drivers but couldn't figure out how to install since it didn't come with an installer. The driver also didn't have a Win10 version, but I can't remember if the issues only happened after I upgraded from 7 to 10.

Additionally, the blur does not seem to occur on the BIOS menu.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2021
It could be OS or GPU related if that's the case. But I would recommend testing the monitor on another computer or hooking up a gaming console to it and seeing if the issue persist.

Nov 6, 2021
I went over my monitor manual settings with a fine tooth comb and still can't figure out if it's on sync or not. I did reset the settings earlier as suggested.

My Nvidia panel showed no option for G sync, so I updated my drivers with a clean install. Still no option.

My monitor is an Acer XF250Q and my graphics card is a GeForce GTX 960 (old i know, but can't buy a new one, not in this economy).