My 2tb slim seagate external hard drive wont read, and has a fading light.

Exodia_1

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017
So ive had my hard drive for about a lil over a year now, and i went to plug it in and it comes up as local e drive (usually says seagate BLU storage device), and i cant access any of the files on it. In device manager, it pops up by name, in remove devices safely, name is there as well, when u click on it it will not open up anythin on the drive. The light on in has a fading in and out glow to it. U can feel a sort of grinding going on in it.

I have a smart tv (samsung 6 series) and it reads the movies and folders perfectly fine, no glowing light, no problems. But i cant pull up files on the tv... all my files are on tht hard drive. Were talking almost 500 gb of photos, movies etc... ive tried the who seagate mastery, changed wires on it. Nothing is working..and of course i didnt back up anything using the seagate back up software. I really need to get access to those files. Someome help me

Solution
Your USB port may not be giving the drive enough power. Try a different port, computer, or a two-headed USB cable that combines power from 2 ports. Yes I know the drive probably worked just fine on that computer in that port in the past. Bearings can start to wear and grind as they get older, resulting in more friction and more power needed for the motor to spin the drive up.

Most Smart TVs run Linux internally. If Windows is just being stubborn about reading the drive, you can try downloading a Linux Live CD and boot from that. Then plug in the drive and see if you can read the drive that way.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

KiL3MaNjAr0W

Reputable
Sep 27, 2016
can you see the files? if you can see them I would suggest transferring them small portions at a time before the drive dies and then RMA if you still can. If you can't and you absolutely need those files you can look into a data recovery service and check on prices.

Exodia_1

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017

I cant see any of them at all on a computer, and my tv only views the movie files and cant transfer any files. Was trying to find a solution tht might save the files and not cost so much

Your USB port may not be giving the drive enough power. Try a different port, computer, or a two-headed USB cable that combines power from 2 ports. Yes I know the drive probably worked just fine on that computer in that port in the past. Bearings can start to wear and grind as they get older, resulting in more friction and more power needed for the motor to spin the drive up.

Most Smart TVs run Linux internally. If Windows is just being stubborn about reading the drive, you can try downloading a Linux Live CD and boot from that. Then plug in the drive and see if you can read the drive that way.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

Solution

Exodia_1

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017

Ima try that out but heres a photo of what i have
https://www.google.com/express/product/3825991776783240202_15057870246817472094_9090995?mall=Midwest&directCheckout=1&utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=product_ads&dclid=CJDf_P2cs9MCFYGhswodwcQLeA

The usb it comes with is only universal withing these same types..i have a 4tb one and used tht cord on the 2tb on and it didnt work either. And it doesnt work on amy computer... the only the tv can do it play movies and browe folders but not files. And i believe the light is considered the light of death